Photoconductivity Amplification in a Type-II n-GaSb/InAs/p-GaSb Heterostructure with a Single QW
- 13 Downloads
Significant photocurrent/photoconductivity amplification is observed at low reverse biases in a type-II n-GaSb/InAs/p-GaSb heterostructure with a single quantum well (QW), grown by metal-organic vapor phase epitaxy. A sharp increase in the photocurrent by more than two orders of magnitude occurs under exposure of the heterostructure to monochromatic light with a wavelength of 1.2–1.6 μm (at 77 K) and the application of a reverse bias in the range 5–200 mV. The optical gain depends on the applied voltage and increases to 2.5 × 102 at a reverse bias of 800 mV. Theoretical analysis demonstrated that the main role in the phenomenon is played by the screening of the external electric field by electrons accumulated in the deep InAs QW and by the mechanism of the tunneling transport of carriers with a small effective mass. It is shown that the effect under study is common to both isotype and anisotype type-II heterojunctions, including structures with QWs and superlattices.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.F. Capasso, in Semiconductors and Semimetals, Vol. 22: Lightwave Communications Technology: Photodetectors, Ed. by W. Tsang (Academic, New York, 1985), Chap. 1.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Campbell, in Semiconductors and Semimetals, Vol. 22: Lightwave Communications Technology: Photodetectors, Ed. by W. Tsang (Academic, New York, 1985), Chap. 5.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Milnes and D. Feucht, Heterojunctions and Metal Semiconductor Junctions (Mir, Moscow, 1975; Academic, New York, 1972), Chap. 4.Google Scholar
- 12.C. van Opdorp and J. Vrakking, Solid-State Electron. 10, 995 (1967).Google Scholar
- 14.I. A. Andreev, A. N. Baranov, M. A. Mirsagatov, M. P. Mikhailova, A. A. Rogachev, G. M. Filaretova, and Yu. P. Yakovlev, Sov. Tech. Phys. Lett. 14, 173 (1988).Google Scholar
- 16.L. V. Danilov, M. P. Mikhailova, E. V. Ivanov, G. G. Konovalov, E. A. Grebenschikova, R. V. Levin, B. V. Pushnyi, G. G. Zegrya, and Yu. P. Yakovlev, in Proceedings of the 24th International Symposium on Nanostructures: Physics and Technology, St. Petersburg, Russia, 2016, p. 219.Google Scholar
- 17.Handbook Series on Semiconductor Parameters, Ed. by M. Levinstein, S. Rumyantsev, and M. Shur (World Scientific, Singapore, New York, London, Hong Kong, 1996), Vol. 1, Chap. 6.Google Scholar