Modern Purification Methods for Liquid Scintillators Intended for Recording Rare Events
- 11 Downloads
Chromato-mass-spectrometry and UV/VIS spectroscopy are used to study the composition and properties of linear alkyl benzene (LAB) produced in Russia as the basic solvent for production of low-background liquid scintillators. The efficiency of LAB purification by reducing intrinsic radioactivity (U, Th) via water extraction (with addition of a strong chelate, dimethylaminomethylendiphosphonic acid) and sorption on Al2O3 in silica gel is studied. The purification method for removing potassium from scintillation fluors (PPO, BPO, p-terphenyl) is developed. It is shown that U and Th can be efficiently extracted from NdCl3 water solutions with 0.1 M TOPO solution in pseudocumene.
The work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation, project no. 16-12-10322.
- 1.Alimonti et al. (Borexino Collab.), “The Borexino detector at the Laboratori Nazional del Gran Sasso,” Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 600, 568 (2009).Google Scholar
- 7.H. O. Back, M. Balata, A. de Bari, et al., “Study of phenylxylylethane (PXE) as scintillator for low energy neutrino experiment,” Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 585, 48 (2008).Google Scholar
- 8.Zelimer Djurcic et al. (JUNO Collab.), “JUNO conceptual design report,” arXiv:1508.07166v2 [physics. Ins-det] (2015).Google Scholar
- 9.Hu Wei, Fang Jian, Yu Boxiang, Zhang Xuan, Zhoi Li, Cai Xiao, and Sun Lijun, “The efficiency study of different purification methods for liquid scintillator,” arXiv:1601.02780v1 [ph ysics.ins-det] (2016).Google Scholar
- 11.I. R. Barabanov et al., “Large volume detector at Baksan neutrino observatory of INR RAS for investigation of natural neutrino fluxes for geo- and astrophysics,” Preprint 1422/2016 INR RAS (Inst. Nucl. Res., Russ. Acad. Sci., Moscow, 2016).Google Scholar
- 12.I. R. Barabanov, G. Ya. Novikova, and E. A. Yanovich, “Development of Nd-containing liquid organic scintillator, purification of NdCl3 and LAB from Th, U,” Preprint 1427/2016 INR RAS (Inst. Nucl. Res., Russ. Acad. Sci., Moscow, 2016).Google Scholar
- 13.L. B. Bezrukov, N. I. Bakulina, N. S. Ikonnikov, V. P. Morgalyuk, G. Ya. Novikova, and A. S. Chepurnov, “Study of transparency of the LAB produced in Russia as the solvent for large volume scintillators,” Preprint 1382/2014 INR RAS (Inst. Nucl. Res., Russ. Acad. Sci., Moscow, 2014).Google Scholar
- 15.G. Ya. Novikova and A. S. Redchin, “Study of stability and oxidability of the LAB (linear alkylbenzene) produced in Russia,” Preprint 1431/2017 INR RAS (Inst. Nucl. Res., Russ. Acad. Sci., Moscow, 2017).Google Scholar
- 16.A. V. Voevodskii, V. L. Dadykin, and O. G. Ryazhskaya, Prib. Tekh. Eksp., No. 1, 85 (1970).Google Scholar
- 19.Hu Wei, Fang Jian, Yu Boxiang, Zhang Xuan, Zhoi Li, Cai Xiao, and Sun Lijun, “The efficiency study of different purification methods for liquid scintillator,” arXiv: 1601.02780v1 [physics.ins-det] (2016).Google Scholar
- 20.J. B. Benziger, Michael Johnson, F. P. Calaprice, M. Chen, N. Darnton, R. Loeser, and R. B. Vogelaar, “A scintillator purification system for a large scale neutrino experiment,” Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 417, 278 (1998).Google Scholar
- 23.N. A. Danilov, Yu. S. Krylov, V. I. Zhilov, A. Yu. Tsivadze, E. V. Sal’nikova, I. R. Barabanov, L. B. Bezrukov, G. Ya. Novikova, E. Ya. Yanovich, C. Cattadori, S. Nisi, M. di Vacri, C. Salvo, and A. Ianni, " Exhaustive removal of thorium and uranium traces from neodymium by liquid extraction," Radiochemistry 53, 269 (2011).CrossRefGoogle Scholar