The Carpet-3 Multipurpose Air Shower Array of the Baksan Neutrino Observatory of the Institute for Nuclear Research, Russian Academy of Sciences
- 10 Downloads
An experiment for measuring the flux of cosmic gamma rays with energy above 100 TeV is currently being prepared at the Baksan Neutrino Observatory of the Institute for Nuclear Research, Russian Academy of Sciences. For this purpose, based on the Carpet-2 shower array which has been operating for many years, the Carpet-3 multipurpose shower array is being constructed. In particular, the preparation of the experiment supposes an increase in the area of the muon detector (MD) and ground part of the array. For ground modules of the Carpet-3 array, a scintillation detector with a liquid scintillator in a plastic package has been elaborated. In this work, descriptions of the Carpet-3 array and working characteristics of the new scintillation detector are presented.
This work was carried out at the Baksan Underground Scintillation Telescope Unique Scientific Unit (Baksan Neutrino Observatory Common Use Center, Institute for Nuclear Research, Russian Academy of Sciences) under the support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 16-02-00687-a.
- 2.D. D. Dzhappuev, V. V. Alekseenko, A. S. Lidvansky, Yu. V. Stenkin, V. B. Petkov, O. I. Mikhailova, A. U. Kudzhaev, A. B. Chernyaev, and A. L. Tsyabuk, in Proceedings of the 30th International Cosmic Ray Conference, Merida, 2007, Vol. 4, p. 19.Google Scholar
- 3.D. D. Dzhappuev, V. V. Alekseenko, V. I. Volchenko, G. V. Volchenko, Zh. Sh. Guliev, E. V. Gulieva, Yu. N. Konovalov, A. U. Kudzhaev, A. S. Lidvansky, O. I. Mikhailova, V. B. Petkov, D. V. Smirnov, V. I. Stepanov, Yu. V. Sten’kin, and N. S. Khaerdinov, “Modernization of the Carpet-2 array of the Baksan Neutrino Observatory,” Bull. Russ. Acad. Sci.: Phys. 71, 525 (2007).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.V. L. Dadykin and A. L. Tsyabuk, “Sensibility of PMT-49 to Cherenkov radiation,” Prib. Tekh. Eksp., No. 6, 41–43 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Hayakawa, Cosmic Ray Physics: Nuclear and Astrophysical Aspects (Wiley, New York, 1969; Nauka, Moscow, 1973), Vol. 1, Rus. p. 473.Google Scholar
- 6.E. N. Alekseev, A. V. Butkevich, A. V. Voevodskii, S. N. Karpov. N. F. Klimenko, M. I. Kogai, Yu. N. Kanovalov, G. V. Lupenko, S. G. Malkiel’, V. Ya. Markov, A. F. Tetenkov, and A. E. Chudakov, INR Preprint No. P0610 (Inst. Nucl. Res., Russ. Acad. of Sci., Moscow, 1989).Google Scholar
- 8.V. V. Alekseenko, A. V. Voevodskii, Yu. N. Konovalov, M. M. Konoplya, D. L. Marchuk, Yu. V. Sten’kin, and A. E. Chudakov, “Carpet-2 array for searching γ-quant local sources with energies >1014 eV,” in Proceedings of the All-Union Conference on Cosmic Rays, Alma-Ata, 1989, Vol. 1, pp. 27–28.Google Scholar