Some Problems of Measurements of Ionization Yields for Nuclear Recoils in Liquid Argon Using Neutron Scattering in a Two-Phase Detector
Measurement of the ionization yields for nuclear recoils is related to the energy calibration of dark matter and low-energy neutrino detectors. In this study, some results of the previous measurements of the ionization yields for nuclear recoils in liquid argon using the neutron scattering technique in the two-phase detector are discussed. The methods to increase light collection of scintillation (S1) and ionization (S2) signals in the two-phase detector using SiPM matrices and THGEM electrodes with increased optical transparency are proposed. These steps are necessary to implement the neutron double-scattering technique, which will provide measurement of the ionization yield of recoiling nuclei in the unexplored energy range.
The study was supported by the Russian Science Foundation, project no. 14-50-00080); the study was performed in the framework of the research program for DarkSide-20k experiment.
- 3.M. Horn, V. A. Belov, D. Yu. Akimov, H. M. Araújo, E. J. Barnes, A. A. Burenkov, V. Chepel, A. Currie, B. Edwards, C. Ghag, A. Hollingsworth, G. E. Kalmus, A. S. Kobyakin, A. G. Kovalenko, and V. N. Lebedenko, “Nuclear recoil scintillation and ionization yields in liquid xenon from ZEPLIN-III data,” Phys. Lett. B 705, 471 (2011).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.T. H. Joshi, S. Sangiorgio, A. Bernstein, M. Foxe, C. Hagmann, I. Jovanovic, K. Kazkaz, V. Mozin, E. B. Norman, S. V. Pereverzev, F. Rebassoo, and P. Sorensen, “First measurement of the ionization yield of nuclear recoils in liquid argon,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 171303 (2014).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.A. Bondar, A. Buzulutskov, A. Dolgov, E. Grishnyaev, V. Nosov, V. Oleynikov, S. Polosatkin, L. Shekhtman, E. Shemyakina, and A. Sokolov, “Measurement of the ionization yield of nuclear recoils in liquid argon using a two-phase detector with electroluminescence gap,” J. Instrum. 12, C05010 (2017).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.A. Bondar, A. Buzulutskov, A. Dolgov, L. Shekhtman, and A. Sokolov, “X-ray ionization yields and energy spectra in liquid argon,” Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 816, 119 (2016).Google Scholar
- 11.D. S. Akerib et al. (LUX Collab.), “Low-energy (0.7–74 keV) nuclear recoil calibration of the LUX dark matter experiment using D-D neutron scattering kinematics,” arXiv:1608.05381v2.Google Scholar