Time-Projection Chamber Development for the Multi-Purpose Detector in the NICA Project
Within the framework of the scientific program for the study of hot and dense nuclear matter in the Veksler and Baldin Laboratory of High Energy Physics of the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research, Dubna (JINR), the NICA megaproject (Nuclotron-based Ion Collider fAcility) based on the Nuclotron-M accelerator is implemented. The new accelerator facility will make it possible to research the properties of dense baryonic matter in the collision of heavy ions in a wide range of atomic masses from p–p collisions in the energy range √Spp = 12–27 GeV/n and d + d collisions with energies of √SNN = 4–13.8 GeV/n with the average luminosity L = 1032 cm–2 s–1 up to Au+79 + Au+79 collisions in the energy range √SNN = 4–11 GeV/n with the average luminosity L = 1027 cm–2 s–1 (Au+79). A collider provides two points of intersection of beams, in one of which the multipurpose detector (Multi-Purpose Detector, MPD) will be installed. The time-projection gas chamber (TPC) is the main tracking detector and the particle identifier of the Multi-Purpose Detector. The article considers the structure of the MPD, the design and the main working parameters of TPC and its subsystems. The front-end electronics (FEE), as well as the procedure for assembling and integrating the TPC into the MPD are discussed.
Keywords:time-projection chamber (TPC) multi-wire proportional chambers (MWPC) front-end electronics (FEE) front-end card (FEC) laser calibration gas system cooling system
We are grateful to C. Lippmann, D. Vranic, C. Garabatos, L. Musa, A. Lebedev, and A. Kluge for the interest in our work and support. We also thank colleagues of SAMPA-collaboration, in particular M. Bregant, A. Velure, A. Oskarsson and K. Tun-Lanoe for help in testing the SAMPA microchip.
- 3.V. Kekelidze, et al., EPJ Web of Conference 95, 01014 (2015).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Averyanov et al., J. Instrum. 2, 208–213 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.The Multipurpose Detector (MPD). Conceptual Design Report. The MPD Detector at the NICA Heavy-Ion Collider at JINR.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Alme et al., ALICE TDR 7 “Time Projection Chamber”. CERN/LHCC. 2000-2001. January 2000, Nucl. Instrum. Methods (January 2010).Google Scholar
- 9.“ALICE TPC Readout Chip. User Manual. CERN, Draft 0.2. ALTRO chip”. http://ep-ed-alice-tpc.web.cern.ch/ep-ed-alice-tpc. Cited June 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Kotchenda et al., CBM Progress Report. (Darmstadt, 2010).Google Scholar