Low-Background Method of Isotope Markers for Measuring the Efficiency of Intercalation of Graphite by Potassium Atoms
- 13 Downloads
The result of low-background measurements of the gamma activity of graphite-potassium intercalated sample is presented. A germanium gamma spectrometer, used for measurements, was located in the low-background chamber of Baksan Neutrino Observatory. For 384 hours of exposure, 768 decays of K-40 isotope nuclei were registered. This activity corresponds to 85 μg/cm2 potassium atoms embedded in to graphite lattice. A computer simulation of the intercalation process and the gamma-ray spectrum set is also presented. The accuracy of the potassium concentration determination can be brought to 10–11–10–12 g/g for mixture enriched with K-40 isotope.
The work was supported partially by grants: RFBR no. 16-29-13011 ofi_m, RFBR no. 18-02-01042 a and Foundation for Assistance to Small Innovative Enterprises no. 0038507 UMNIK 17-12 (a).
- 1.D. R. Cooper, B. D’Anjou, N. Ghattamaneni, B. Harack, M. Hilke, A. Horth., N. Majlis, M. Massicotte, L. Vandsburger, E. Whiteway, and V. Yu, “Experimental review of graphene,” Condens. Matter Phys. 2012, 56 (2012).Google Scholar
- 3.D. Budjase, A. M. Gangapshev, V. V. Kuzminov, J. Gasparro, W. Hampel, M. Heisel, G. Heusser, M. Hult, M. Laubenstein, W. Maneschg, H. Simgen, A. A. Smolnikov, C. Tomei, and S. I. Vasiliev, “Gamma-ray spectrometry of ultra low levels of radioactivity within the material screening program for the GERDA experiment,” Appl. Radiat. Isot. 67, 755–758 (2009).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.V. V. Kuzminov, V. V. Alekseenko, I. R. Barabanov, R. A. Etezov, A. M. Gangapshev, Yu. M. Gavrilyuk, A. M. Gezhaev, V. V. Kazalov, A. Kh. Khokonov, S. I. Panasenko, and S. S. Ratkevich, “Some features and results of thermal neutron background measurements with the [ZnS(Ag) + 6 LiF] scintillation detector,” Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 841, 156–161 (2017).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.HyperChem for Windows Reference Manual (Hypercube, Inc., 1999). http://www.hyper.com.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Agostinelli, J. Allison, K. Amako, J. Apostolakis, H. Araujo, P. Arce, M. Asai, D. Axen, S. Banerjee, G. Barrand, F. Behner, L. Bellagamba, J. Boudreau, L. Broglia, A. Brunengo, and H. Burkhardt, “Geant4—a simulation toolkit,” Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 506, 250–303 (2003).Google Scholar