Search for Neutrino Bursts from Collapsing Stars by Means of the LVD and BUST Detectors
- 4 Downloads
A long-term and stable operation of the LVD and BUST detectors in searches for neutrino bursts from gravitational star collapses is demonstrated, and a random origin of background pulses in the detectors is confirmed thereby. The experimental results obtained by means of the LSD and BUST detectors on February 23, 1987, are considered in detail. The probability for the possible backgroundmimicked coincidences of clusters of pulses recorded in the LSD detector at 2 : 52 UT with a group of correlations of pulses within 1 s between LSD and BUST in the interval from 1 : 45 to 3 : 45 UT is estimated. Also, coincidences of the background pulses in the LVD and BUST detectors over the period of about eight years are analyzed. The results obtained in this way give sufficient grounds to conclude that the cluster of pulses recorded by the LSD detector on February 23, 1987, at 2 : 52 UT and the coincidences of individual pulses in the LSD and BUST detectors are events associated with the gravitational collapse of SN 1987A.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. V. Korchagin, V. G. Ryassny, O. G. Ryazhskaya, and G. T. Zatsepin, in Proceedings of the 16th International Cosmic Ray Conference ICRC, Kyoto, Japan, 1979, Ed. by S. Miyake (Univ. Tokyo, Tokyo, 1980), Vol. 10, p.299.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Aglietta, J. Badino, G. Bologna, C. Castagnoli, A. Castellina, V. L. Dadykin, W. Fulgione, P. Galeotti, F. F. Kalchukov, I. V. Korolkova, P. V. Korchaguin, V. A. Kudryatzev, A. S. Malguin, V. G. Ryassny, O. G. Ryazskaya, O. Saavedra, et al., Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 571, 584 (1989).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.A. V. Avrorin, A. D. Avrorin, V. M. Ainutdinov, I. A. Belolaptikov, D. Yu. Bogorodskii, V. B. Brudanin, N. M. Budnev, A. R. Gafarov, O. N. Gaponenko, K. V. Golubkov, T. I. Gress, I. A. Danil’chenko, Zh.-A.M. Dzhilkibaev, G. V. Domogatskii, A. A. Doroshenko, et al., Instrum Exp. Tech. 57, 262 (2014).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.V. L. Dadykin, F. F. Khalchukov, P. V. Korchaguin, V. B. Korchaguin, A. S. Malguin, V. G. Ruasny, O. G. Ryazhskaya, V. P. Talochkin, G. T. Zatsepin, and V. F. Yakyshev, in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium Underground Physics 87, Moscow (Nauka, Moscow, 1988), p.94.Google Scholar
- 22.N. Yu. Agafonova, Cand. Sci. (Phys. Math.) Dissertation (Inst. Nucl. Res. RAS, Moscow, 2014).Google Scholar
- 23.V. B. Petkov, Doctoral (Phys. Math.) Dissertation (Inst. Nucl. Res. RAS, Moscow, 2013).Google Scholar
- 24.A. V. Voevodskiĭ, V. L. Dadykin, and O. G. Ryazhskaya, Prib. Tekh. Eksp., No. 1, 85 (1970).Google Scholar
- 26.G. Bruno, A. Molinario, W. Fulgione, and C. Vigorito (for the LVD Collab.), arXiv: 1701.06765.Google Scholar