On the Rank-One Approximation of Positive Matrices Using Tropical Optimization Methods
- 3 Downloads
An approach to the problem of rank-one approximation of positive matrices in the Chebyshev metric in logarithmic scale is developed in this work, based on the application of tropical optimization methods. The theory and methods of tropical optimization constitute one of the areas of tropical mathematics that deals with semirings and semifields with idempotent addition and their applications. Tropical optimization methods allow finding a complete solution to many problems of practical importance explicitly in a closed form. In this paper, the approximation problem under consideration is reduced to a multidimensional tropical optimization problem, which has a known solution in the general case. A new solution to the problem in the case when the matrix has no zero columns or rows is proposed and represented in a simpler form. On the basis of this result, a new complete solution of the problem of rank-one approximation of positive matrices is developed. To illustrate the results obtained, an example of the solution of the approximation problem for an arbitrary two-dimensional positive matrix is given in an explicit form.
Keywordstropical mathematics tropical optimization max-algebra rank-one matrix approximation log-Chebyshev distance function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yao Q., Kwok J., “Greedy learning of generalized low-rank models”, Proc. 25th Intern. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI’16), 2294–2300 (AAAI Press, 2016).Google Scholar
- 3.Ruhe A., Numerical computation of principal components when several observations are missing (Research report, Umea Univ., 1974).Google Scholar
- 12.Gillis N., Shitov Y., “Low-rank matrix approximation in the infinity norm”, Computing Research Repository, arXiv:1706.00078 (2017).Google Scholar
- 13.Krivulin N. K., Methods of idempotent algebra for problems in modeling and analysis of complex systems (St. Petersburg University Press, St. Petersburg, 2009). (In Russian)Google Scholar
- 17.Maslov V.P., Kolokoltsov V.N., Idempotent Analysis and Its Applications to Optimal Control Theory. (Nauka Publ., Moscow, 1994). (In Russian)Google Scholar
- 20.Krivulin N., Tropical optimization problems, in Advances in Economics and Optimization (Economic Issues, Problems and Perspectives), 195–214 (Nova Sci. Publ., New York, 2014).Google Scholar