The Validity of Otolith-Based Age Estimates for the Walleye Pollock Theragra chalcogramma (Pallas, 1814) from the Eastern Sea of Okhotsk
- 9 Downloads
Data on age of the walleye pollock Theragra chalcogramma (Pallas, 1814) from the eastern Sea of Okhotsk, determined by otolith analysis, are considered. A comparison of the age–length relationships, as inferred from variations in modal body size of fish of strong year-classes and from otolith-based age estimates, has shown no significant differences. This confirms the accuracy of the otolith-based estimates of walleye pollock age.
Keywords:walleye pollock Theragra chalcogramma eastern Sea of Okhotsk otoliths age body length abundance year-classes
The authors are grateful to their colleagues who collected and processed materials during the research surveys of the Pacific Research Fisheries Center in the Sea of Okhotsk in 1997–2013.
The study was carried out within the framework of the Integrated Program of Fisheries Research in the Far Eastern Fisheries Basin for 2012–2016 and the Concept of Fisheries Development in the Russian Federation up to 2020 (approved by the order of the Russian Federation Government of September 2, 2003, no. 1265-r) in accordance with the thematic plan of research works of the Pacific Research Fisheries Center for 2018.
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
Conflict of interests. The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Statement on the welfare of animals. All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- 1.Avdeev, G.V. and Ovsyannikov, E.E., Distribution of pollock generations on the early years of life in the eastern Okhotsk Sea, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno–Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2001, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 250–258.Google Scholar
- 2.Andreev, V.L., On the method for age and body length determination of walleye pollock, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno–Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 1968, vol. 65, pp. 253–257.Google Scholar
- 3.Buslov, A.V., Rost mintaya i razmerno-vozrastnaya struktura yego populatsii (Growth of Walleye Pollock and the Size and Age Structure of Its Populations), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky: KamchatNIRO, 2005.Google Scholar
- 4.Buslov, A.V., Age determination of gadids (Gadidae) from the Far Eastern seas: Theoretical provisions and methodological approaches (a review), in Sb. nauchn. tr. Kamchatskogo nauchno–issled. inst. rybn. khoz. okeanogr. “Issledovaniya vodnykh biologicheskikh resursov Kamchatki i severo-zapadnoi chasti Tikhogo okeana” (Collect. Sci. Works Kamchatka Res. Inst. Fish. Oceanogr. “Studies of Aquatic Biological Resources of Kamchatka and the Northwestern Pacific Ocean”), 2009, vol. 14, pp. 32–46.Google Scholar
- 5.Volvenko, I.V., Problems in quantitative estimation of fish abundance by trawl sampling, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno–Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 1998, vol. 124, pp. 473–500.Google Scholar
- 6.Dgebuadze, Yu.Yu., Ekologicheskiye zakonomernosti izmenchivosti rosta ryb (Ecological Patterns of Variation in Fish Growth), Moscow: Nauka, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.Ilin, O.I., Trofimov, I.K., Zolotov, A.O., et al., Estimation of instantaneous natural mortality rate of Gadidae family of the Kamchatka Shelf, Tr. Vseross. Nauchno–Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2014, vol. 151, pp. 75–80.Google Scholar
- 8.Kaganovskaya, S.M., Materials to the knowledge of walleye pollock, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno–Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 1950, vol. 32, pp. 103–120.Google Scholar
- 9.Lakin, G.F., Biometriya (Biometrics), Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola, 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.Ovsyannikov, E.E., Walleye pollock year classes abundance assessment in the northern Okhotsk Sea, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno–Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2009, vol. 157, pp. 64–80.Google Scholar
- 11.Ovsyannikov, E.E., Ovsyannikova, S.L., and Sheybak, A.Yu., Dynamics and structure of walleye pollock stock in the northern Okhotsk Sea in the 2000s, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno–Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2013, vol. 172, pp. 133–148.Google Scholar
- 12.Fadeev, N.S., A technique for the assessment of walleye pollock stock by egg abundance and size-age composition, Russ. J. Mar. Biol., 1999, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 280–283.Google Scholar
- 13.Yarzhombek, A.A., Zakonomernosti rosta promyslovykh ryb (Patterns of Growth in Commercial Fishes), Moscow: VNIRO, 2011.Google Scholar
- 14.Beamish, R.J. and McFarlane, G.A., A discussion of the importance of aging errors, and an application to walleye pollock: the world’s largest fishery, in Recent Developments in Fish Otolith Research, Columbia, S.C.: Univ. of South Carolina Press, 1995, pp. 545–565.Google Scholar
- 17.Chilton, D.E. and Beamish, R.J., Age determination methods for fishes studied by the Groundfish Program at the Pacific Biological Station, Can. Spec. Publ. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 1982, vol. 60.Google Scholar
- 18.Ishida, T., On the age determination and morphometrical differences of the otolith of Alaska pollock in the Hokkaido Coast, Bull. Hokkaido Reg. Fish. Res. Lab., 1954, no. 11, pp. 67.Google Scholar