The Concentrations of Trace Metals in the Soft Tissues of the Mytilid Mollusk Septifer bilocularis (Linnaeus, 1758) as a Possible Indicator of Water Quality at Coastal Coral Reefs of Vietnam
The variability of Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, Pb, Cd, and Ni concentrations was studied in soft tissues of the common mytilid mollusk Septifer bilocularis collected in May 2013 at the coral reefs along the entire Vietnamese coast from the Gulf of Siam to Ha Long Bay. The salinity, suspended solids, and nutrients were determined during the sampling; these hydrochemical characteristics of the surrounding waters were controlled by the river runoff and the content of chlorophyll a. The concentration of Mn in the mollusk S. bilocularis was elevated under the river runoff effect. However, concentrations of Cd and Zn in S. bilocularis were the lowest within the areas of river influence and increased in waters of central Vietnam and the Gulf of Siam, where upwellings are an important driving force. A comparison of our data with those obtained for Mytilidae from other regions showed that the mussel S. bilocularis can be recommended for biomonitoring of the concentrations of trace metals in the waters of coral ecosystems along the Vietnam coast.
Keywordstrace metals Mytilidae coral reefs river runoff effect upwelling Vietnam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Latypov, Yu.Ya., Benthic communities of the coral reefs of the Kondao Islands in the South China Sea, Rus. J. Mar. Biol., 1993, vol. 19, nos. 5–6, pp. 310–318.Google Scholar
- 5.Lukashev, D.V., Method for calculating the background concentrations of heavy metals in soft tissues of bivalve mollusks for assessing the pollution of the Dnepr River, Inland Water Biol., 2007, no. 4, pp. 97–106.Google Scholar
- 9.Khristoforova, N.K., Shul’kin, V.M., Kavun, V.Ya., and Chernova, E.N., Tyazhelye metally v promyslovykh i kultiviruemykh mollyuskakh zaliva Petra Velikogo (Heavy Metals in Fished and Cultivated Mollusks of Peter the Great Bay), Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 1993.Google Scholar
- 11.Shul'kin, V.M., Metally v ekosistemakh morskikh melkovodii (Metals in the Ecosystems of Marine Shallow Water), Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 2004.Google Scholar
- 17.González, P.M. and Puntarulo, S., Iron and nitrosative metabolism in the Antarctic mollusk Laternula elliptica, Comp. Biochem. Physiol., C: Comp. Pharmacol., 2011, vol. 153, pp. 243–250.Google Scholar
- 22.Methods of Seawater Analysis, Grasshoff, K., Ehrhardt, M., and Kremling, K., Eds., Weinheim: Verlag Chemie, 1983, 2nd ed.Google Scholar