Cytogenetic Activity of Gold Nanoparticles in Germ and Somatic Cells of 129 Mice with a Nonsense Mutation in the DNA Polymerase Iota Gene
- 8 Downloads
In this study, we investigated the cytogenetic effects of single and quadruple exposure of spermatogenic cells and hepatocytes of 129 mice, which have a mutation in the gene that encodes DNA polymerase iota, to ultrasmall gold nanoparticles (GNPs). The combined effects of GNPs and chemical mutagen dipin were evaluated. In all cases, except for the experiment with the quadruple GNP injection, we observed a slight, statistically nonsignificant increase in the frequency of round spermatids with micronuclei compared to the negative control (saline). It is established that, in the intact liver of 129 mice, in all variants of the experiment, GNPs behaved as a potentially cytotoxic agent, as evidenced by the decrease in the frequency of the micronucleated hepatocytes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Malashenko, A.M., Beskova, T.B., Pomerantseva, M.D., and Ramaiya, L.K., Comparison of three inbred mouse strains by general and genetic radiosensitivity, Genet. Zhivotn., 2003, vol. 39, pp. 1247–1251.Google Scholar
- Mytych, J., Lewinska, A., Zebrowski, J., and Wnuk, M., Gold nanoparticles promote oxidant-mediated activation of NF-kB and 53BP1 recruitment-based adaptive response in human astrocytes, BioMed Res. Int., 2015, vol. 2015, article ID 304575.Google Scholar
- Tyurin, Yu.N. and Makarov, A.A., Statisticheskii analiz dannykh na komp’yutere (Statistical Data Analysis on Computer), Moscow: Infra-M, 1998.Google Scholar
- Yevdokimov, Yu.M., Gold nanoparticles govern DNA packaging, Priroda (Moscow, Russ. Fed.), 2015a, no. 4, pp. 13–21.Google Scholar
- Yevdokimov, Yu.M., Gold nanoparticles and DNA liquid crystals, Vestn. Mosk. Univ., Ser. 2: Chem., 2015b, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 147–157.Google Scholar
- Zakhidov, S.T., Paranyushkina, L.P., Mahran Hoda, A.H., El-Sayed, K.A.-H., and Golichenkov, V.A., Effect of chemical mutagens on spermatogenesis of mammals. Cytogenetic analysis, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Biol., 1994, no. 3, pp. 353–362.Google Scholar
- Zakhidov, S.T., Marshak, T.L., Uryvaeva, I.V., Semenova, M.L., Gopko, A.V., Delone, G.V., Mikhaleva, Ya.Yu., and Makarov, A.A., Cytogenetic aberrations in the cells of liver and spermatogenic epithelium in senescence accelerated SAMP1 and SAMR1 mice, Russ. J. Dev. Biol., 2002, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 362–373.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zakhidov, S.T., Pavlyuchenkova, S.M., Marshak, T.L., Rudoy, V.M., Dement’eva, O.V., Zelenina, I.A., Skuridin, S.G., Makarov, A.A., Khokhlov, A.N., and Evdokimov, Yu.M., Effect of gold nanoparticles on mouse spermatogenesis, Biol. Bull. (Moscow), 2012, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 229–236.CrossRefGoogle Scholar