Development and Validation of a Simple Ultra Fast Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Aspartame, Acesulfame-K, Caffeine and Sodium Benzoate in Dietic Soft Drinks
- 21 Downloads
A rapid, specific, and sensitive ultra fast liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of aspartame (ASP), acesulfame-K (ACE-K), caffeine (CAF) and sodium benzoate (SB) has been developed and validated. The chromatographic separation was achieved on a Shim-pack XR-ODS column within a run time of 3 min using acetonitrile‒pH 3 phosphate buffer (20 : 80, v/v) as the mobile phase at a flow rate 1.5 mL/min and the column temperature was set at 40°C. The elaborated method was validated according to the International Conference on Harmonization quidelines. Linear calibration graphs were in the ranges of 120‒280 µg/mL for ASP and ACE-K, 90‒210 µg/mL for CAF and 60‒140 µg/mL for SB. The limits of detection were 1.6, 4.3, 3.9 and 4.1 µg/mL for ASP, ACE-K, CAF and SB, respectively. The limits of quantitation were 5.2, 14.4, 12.9 and 13.7 µg/mL for ASP, ACE-K, CAF and SB, respectively. The intra- and inter-day precisions were less than 2%. The recoveries for the analytes were between 98.87‒99.73% and the precision values from 0.06 to 0.35.
Keywords:ultra fast liquid chromatography determination aspartame acesulfame-K caffeine sodium benzoate dietic soft drink validation food additives
This research has been supported by the Scientific Research Project Coordination Center of Yıldız Technical University (Project no. 2012-01-02-KAP07).
- 2.European Parliament and Council Directive no. 95/2/EC of 20 February 1995 on food additives other than colours and sweeteners for use in foodstuffs, Off. J. Eur. Communities: Legis., 1995, vol. 61, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 3.Codex Alimentarius, 1995. http://www.codexalimentarius.net/gsfaonline/docs/CXS192e.pdf. Accessed November 22, 2012.Google Scholar
- 4.Aspartame 2011, INCHEM. http://www.inchem.org/ documents/jecfa/jecmono/v16je03.htm. Accessed March 3, 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.Trandafir, I., Nour, V., and Ionica, E.M., Sci. Study Res., 2009, vol. 10, no. 1, p. 1582.Google Scholar
- 9.Ree, M. and Stoa, E., Concordia College J. Anal. Chem., 2011, vol. 7, no. 4, p. 73.Google Scholar
- 28.International Conference on Harmonization (ICH). Text on validation of analytical procedure: Methodology, Q2(R1), 2005.Google Scholar
- 35.Buchgraber, M. and Wasik, A., J. AOAC Int., 2009, vol. 92, no. 1, p. 208.Google Scholar