Discrete Wavelet Transform based Denoising of TOFD Signals of Austenitic Stainless Steel Weld at Elevated Temperature
- 16 Downloads
Abstract—Time of flight Diffraction technique is an advanced ultrasonic NDE methods, adopted in weld integrity testing. During the Time of flight Diffraction (TOFD) inspection of the stainless steel welds at high temperature, grain scattering noise is developed. In Time of flight Diffraction testing, the quality of the signal plays a dominant role in characterizing the defects. Hence, signal denoising is an essential prerequisite for the successful application of Time of flight Diffraction testing. In this work, one austenitic stainless steel weldment was artificially induced with slag defect. At high temperatures, the Time of flight Diffraction testing has been conducted on the weld piece and the resultant signals are applied over the proposed algorithms. Various combinations of wavelets, decomposition levels with different thresholding levels are applied to select an optimum denoising method. The evaluation of wavelet based denoising is achieved by calculating the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). Results show that the noises can be suppressed well and Signal to Noise Ratio is improved.
The author wishes to thank Dr. B. SheelaRani, Director-Research, Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology and Dr. B. Venkatraman, Scientists of Indira Gandhi Center for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam, Government of India for the technical support provided by them.
- 1.Subbaratnam, R., Abraham, S.T., Menaka, M., Venkatraman, B., and Raj, B., Time of flight diffraction testing of austenitic stainless steel weldments at elevated temperatures, Mater. Eval., 2008, vol. 66, pp. 332–337.Google Scholar
- 2.Pardikar, R.J., Sony Baby, and Balasubramanian, T., Ultrasonic study for the flaw detectability in ferritic butt welds at high temperatures, Natl. Semin. ISNT, Indian Nondestr. Test., 2002.Google Scholar
- 3.Verkooijen, J. and McLay, A., Advances with the time of flight diffraction technique, MAT & TEST, 2005, vol. 5.Google Scholar
- 7.Pandian, R. and Vigneswaran, T., Dr., Adaptive wavelet packet basis selection for zero tree image coding, Int. J. Signal Imaging Syst. Eng., 2016, vol. 9, no. 6.Google Scholar
- 8.Udo Schlengermann, The European TOFD Standard Draft ENV 583-6 and The British TOFD Standard BS 7706, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.Shyamal Mondal and Sattar, T., Dr., An overview of ToFD method and its mathematical model, NDT.net, April, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Hong-Wei, M.A. and Wang Bin, Application of wavelet rransform to signal de-noising in ultrasonic testing, NDT, 2004, vol. 26, pp. 68–71.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhou Wei, Advanced Technology of Wavelet Analysis Based on MATLAB, Xi’an: Xi Dian Univ., 2006.Google Scholar