Acoustic-Emission Testing of Failure in Samples of CFRP Exposed to Static and Heat Loads
- 2 Downloads
The results of testing samples made of T700 carbon fiber reinforced plastic with a stress concentrator in the form of a hole 14 mm in diameter are considered. Some of the samples were heated to a temperature of +100°C, followed by exposure to a static tensile load, with the remaining samples statically loaded at a temperature of +20°C. In the process of loading, information was recorded using the method of acoustic emission. At first, the samples were loaded statically up to 50 kN, which was 50% of the average breaking load. Then the load was increased in increments ΔP = 10 kN until sample failure. It was observed that the simultaneous exposure of samples to static and heat loads decreased the load capacity of the samples.
Keywordscarbon fiber reinforced plastic sample thermal tests static load defect acoustic emission failure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kablov, E.N., Startsev, O.V., Krotov, A.S., et al., Climatic aging of composite materials for aviation purposes. I. Mechanisms of aging, Deform. Razrushenie Mater., 2010, no. 11, pp. 19–27.Google Scholar
- 4.Cardoni, M., Gianneo, A., and Giglio, M., A low frequency Lamb waves based structural health monitoring of an aeronautical carbon fiber reinforced polymer composite, J. Acoust. Emiss., 2014, vol. 32, pp. 1–20.Google Scholar
- 5.Antyufeeva, N.V., Aleksashin, V.M., and Stolyankov, Yu.V., Modern methodological support of thermoanalytical studies of polymer composites and prepregs, Kompoz. Nanostrukt., 2014, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 176–184.Google Scholar
- 6.Nikolaev, V.P., Myshenkova, E.V., Pichugin, V.S., et al., Effect of temperature on mechanical properties of composite materials, Zavod. Lab., Diagn. Mater., 2013, no. 4, pp. 58–61.Google Scholar
- 7.Segui, J., Protecting aircraft composites from lightning strike damage. www.comsol.com. Cited November 6, 2015.Google Scholar
- 8.Ser’eznov, A.N., Stepanova, L.N., Kabanov, S.I., et al., Akustiko-emissionnyi kontrol’ aviatsionnykh konstruktsii (Acoustic Emission Testing of Aircraft Structures), Stepanova, L.N., Ser’eznov, A.N., Eds., Moscow: Mashinostroenie-Polet, 2008.Google Scholar
- 9.Aljets, D., Acoustic emission source location in composite aircraft structures using modal analysis, Ph. D. Dissertation, Univ. Glamorgan, 2011.Google Scholar