Variance Based Brightness Preserved Dynamic Histogram Equalization for Image Contrast Enhancement
- 26 Downloads
This paper proposes a novel variant of Brightness Preserving Dynamic Histogram Equalization (BPDHE) having more brightness preserving capability with less computational time. This variant, called Variance based Brightness Preserve Dynamic Histogram Equalization (VBBPDHE) uses the interclass and intraclass variance information to segment out the histogram recursively. This variant does not need the smoothing operation of input histogram and also no need to compute local maxima or minima to segment out the histogram unlike BPDHE. Visual analysis, quality metrics and execution time clearly demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed VBBPDHE over well-known existing methods.
Keywordshistogram equalization variance brightness preservation image contrast enhancement color
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 2nd edn. (Prentice Hall, New York 2002).Google Scholar
- 13.K. Wongsritong, K. Kittayaruasiriwat, F. Cheevasuvit, K. Dejhan, and A. Somboonkaew, “Contrast enhancement using multipeak histogram equalization with brightness preserving,” in Proc. IEEE APCCAS 1998, 1998 IEEE Asia–Pacific Conference on Circuit and Systems (Chiangmai, Thailand, Nov. 24–27, 1998), pp. 455–458.Google Scholar
- 17.K. G. Dhal and S. Das, “Local search based dynamically adapted Bat Algorithm in image enhancement domain,” Int. J. Comput. Sci. Math. (in press).Google Scholar
- 20.S. Aja–Fernández, R. S. J. Estépar, C. Alberola–López, and C. F. Westin, “Image quality assessment based on local variance,” in Proc. 28th Annual Int. Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS) (New York, 2006), pp. 4815–4818.Google Scholar
- 21.C.–L. Chien and D.–C. Tseng, “Color image enhancement with exact HSI color model,” Int. J. Innovative Comput. Inf. Control (IJICIC) 7 (12), 6691–6710 (2011).Google Scholar
- 25.P. Gupta, P. Srivastava, S. Bhardwaj, and V. Bhateja, “A modified PSNR metric based on HVS for quality assessment of color images,” in Proc. 2011 Int. Conf. on Communication and Industrial Application (ICCIA) (Kolkata, India, 2011), pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 26.N. Ponomarenko, F. Silvestri, K. Egiazarian, M. Carli, J. Astola, and V. Lukin, “On between–coefficient contrast masking of DCT basis functions,” in CD–ROM Proc. 3rd Int. Workshop on Video Processing and Quality Metrics for Consumer Electronics (VPQM 2007) (Scottsdale, AZ, USA, 2007).Google Scholar
- 32.K. G. Dhal, M. Sen, and S. Das, “Cuckoo searchbased modified Bi–Histogram Equalization method to enhance the cancerous tissues in mammography images,” Int. J. Med. Eng. Inf. 10 (2), 164–187 (2018).Google Scholar