A Fatigue-Fracture Criterion for Composite Materials
- 13 Downloads
The fatigue strength of composite materials was first investigated under cyclic tension of plastics reinforced by fiberglass. Since that time, intense investigations of the fatigue strength of composite materials have begun. The experimental data obtained for different types of composite materials show that the fatigue-fracture processes are induced by the accumulation of defects of various nature. The main mechanisms for determining the durability of composites are the kinetics of development of the damaged state until final fracture. At the same time, according to the experimental results, the total-damage-accumulation curve is an increased function of time (the number of loading cycles) until the moment of macrofracture. In this study, on the basis of these investigations and the concept of scattered damage and fracture, the fatigue strength criterion is formulated. The fatigue criterion coefficients are specified, and the damage-accumulation curves are plotted in dependence on the number of cycles and the stress level. A comparison with the experimental results on the fatigue of glass-reinforced plastics and carbon-filled plastics is given.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant no. 18-01-00146.
- 1.K. H. Boller, Composite Materials: Testing and Design. (ASTM STR 460, 1969).Google Scholar
- 2.M. J. Salkind, Fatigue of Composites. Composite Materials: Testing and Design (ASTM STR 497, 1972).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Fujii and M. Jako, Mechanics of Destruction of Composite Materials (Mir, Moscow, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.I. Narisava, Strength of Polymer Materials (Khimiya, Moscow, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.M. J. Owen, in Composite Materials, Ed. by L. Brautman and R. Krok (Mir, Moscow, 1978) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.M. N. Bokshitskii, Long-Term Polymer Strength (Khimiya, Moscow, 1978) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.L. M. Kachanov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. Tekh. Nauk, No. 8, 26 (1958).Google Scholar
- 12.Yu. N. Rabotnov, Creep of Structural Elements (Nauka, Moscow, 1966) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 13.A. R. Arutyunyan and R. A. Arutyunyan, Proc. XXXIII Summer School-Conference “Advanced Problems in Mechanics.” June 28−July 5, 2005 ((Repino). St.-Petersburg: IPME RAS, St.-Petersburg, 2005.Google Scholar
- 15.R. A. Arutyunyan, Problem of Strain Aging and Long-Term Fracture in Mechanics of Materials (Izd-vo SPbGU, St. Petersburg, 2004) [in Russian].Google Scholar