Stability in the Regular Precession of an Asymmetrical Gyroscope in the Critical Case of Fourth-Order Resonance
The motion of a solid around a stationary point in a uniform gravity field is considered. The mass geometry of this body is such that it can perform regular precession around an axis inclined to a vertical (Grioli precession). The problem about the orbital stability of this precession is solved in the critical case of fourth-order resonance, when the terms to a power higher than the fourth with respect to perturbations (including the sixth-power terms) must be taken into account in the expansion of the Hamiltonian function.
- 2.M. P. Gulyaev, Vestn. Mosk. Univ., Ser. Fiz.-Mat. Estestv. Nauk 3, 15 (1955).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Grioli, Ann. Sc. Norm. Super. Pisa 1 (3), 43 (1949).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Z. Bryum, Mekh. Tverd. Tela 19, 68 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.G. V. Mozalevskaya, A. P. Kharlamov, and E. I. Kharlamova, Mekh. Tverd. Tela 24, 15 (1992).Google Scholar
- 15.Yu. A. Arkhangel’skii, Analytical Dynamics of Solids (Nauka, Moscow, 1977) [in Russian].Google Scholar