Ratio between Monomer and Dimer Absorption in Water Vapor within the H2O Rotational Band
- 8 Downloads
Spectral line shape derived using the asymptotic line wing theory (ALWT) with parameters obtained from fitting to experiment in the 8–12-μm spectral region, which describes the spectral and temperature behavior of water vapor absorption in this region, is used to calculate absorption in the longwave wing of the H2O rotational band. The absorption coefficient calculated with the ALWT takes into account absorption by any colliding molecular pairs, except for the absorption due to stable dimers. Application of this line shape to calculation of the absorption coefficient in the region 14–200 cm−1 allows us to extract the stable dimer absorption from the absorption measured with a special-resonator spectrometer. The dimer absorption spectrum derived shows consistency with the spectra from quantum-mechanical calculations and spectra measured in other experiments.
Keywordswater vapor water dimers spectral line wings microwave absorption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.S. D. Tvorogov and O. B. Rodimova, Collisional Profile of Spectral Lines (Publishing House of IAO SB RAS, Tomsk, 2013) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.M. A. Suhm, “How broad are water dimer bands?”, Science (Letter to the Editor) 304, 823 (2004).Google Scholar
- 14.K. Pfeilsticker, A. Lotter, C. Peters, and H. Bosch, “Atmospheric field measurements for the detection water dimer (H2O)2,” in Abstr. of the CECAM Meeting “Water Dimers and Weakly Interacting Species in Atmospheric Modelling”, Lyon, France, April 25–27, 2005.Google Scholar
- 16.I. V. Ptashnik, “Water dimers: An “unknown” experiment,” Atmos. Ocean. Opt. 18 (4), 324–326 (2005).Google Scholar
- 21.M. Yu. Tret’yakov, M. A. Koshelev, E. A. Serov, V. V. Parshin, T. A. Odintsova, and G. M. Bubnov, “Water dimer and the atmospheric continuum,” Phys.- Uspekhi 184 (11), 1199–1215 (2014).Google Scholar
- 23.Yu. V. Bogdanova and O. B. Rodimova, “Discrimination of the water vapor dimmer spectrum within the rotational band of the monomer,” in Proc. of the XXIII Intern. Symp. Atmospheric and Ocean Optics. Atmospheric Physics (Publishing House of IAO SB RAS, Tomsk, 2017), p. A6–A9 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 25.E. P. Gordov and S. D. Tvorogov, Method of Semiclassical Representation in the Quantum Theory (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1984) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 30.O. B. Rodimova, “Spectral line shape and absorption in atmospheric windows,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 28 (5), 460–473 (2015).Google Scholar
- 31.O. B. Rodimova, “Continuum water vapor absorption in the 4000–8000 cm–1 region,” Proc. SPIE—Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. 9680, 968002–1 (2015).Google Scholar
- 36.D. E. Burch, D. A. Gryvnak, and J. D. Pembrook, AFGL-TR-79-0054 (1979); Tech. Rep. AFCRL-TR-75-0420 (1975).Google Scholar