Effect of the Composition and Structure of Pt(Cu)/C Electrocatalysts on Their Stability under Different Stress Test Conditions
Stability is one of the most important characteristics of electrocatalysts used in low-temperature fuel cells with a proton exchange membrane. The corrosion-morphological stability of supported electrocatalysts containing platinum and platinum-copper nanoparticles with ~20 wt % Pt was evaluated under the conditions of voltammetry stress testing corresponding to different degradation mechanisms. The effect of the difference in the architecture of Pt–Cu nanoparticles on the stability of catalysts and changes in their composition as a result of stress tests were studied. At close values of the electrochemically active surface area (ECAS), the carbon-supported bimetallic catalysts demonstrated significantly higher stability compared to the commercial Pt/C catalysts. The Pt(Cu)/C catalyst obtained by sequential deposition of copper and platinum showed the highest resistance to the degradation and selective dissolution of copper during the testing.
Keywordsplatinum nanoparticles core–shell structure stress testing Pt–Cu nanoparticles fuel cell durability catalyst stability degradation mechanisms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Singh, R.N., Awasthi, R., and Sharma, C.S., Review: An overview of recent development of platinum-based cathode materials for direct methanol fuel cells, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 2014, vol. 9, p. 5607.Google Scholar
- 12.Hasche, F., Oezaslan, M., and Strasser, P., Activity, stability, and degradation mechanisms of dealloyed PtCu3 and PtCo3 nanoparticle fuel cell catalysts, Chem-CatChem., 2011, vol. 3, p. 1805.Google Scholar
- 17.Stamenkovic, V.R., Mun, S.B., Mayrhofer, K.J.J., Ross, Ph.N., and Markovic, N.M., Effect of surface composition on electronic structure, stability, and electrocatalytic properties of Pt-transition metal alloys: ptskin versus pt-skeleton surfaces, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006, vol. 128, p. 8813.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Ohma, A., Shinohara, K., Iiyama, A., Yoshida, T., and Daimaru, A., Fuel cells by FCCJ membrane, catalyst, MEA WG membrane and catalyst performance targets for automotive, ECS Trans., 2011, vol. 41, p. 775.Google Scholar
- 24.Hodnik, N., Jozinovic, B., Zorko, M., and Gaberscek, M., Stability of commercial Pt/C low temperature fuel cell catalyst: electrochemical IL-SEM study, Acta Chim. Slov., 2014, vol. 61, p. 280.Google Scholar
- 26.Riese, A., Banham, D., Ye, S., and Sun X., Accelerated stress testing by rotating disk electrode for carbon corrosion in fuel cell catalyst supports, J. Electrochem. Soc., 2015, vol. 162, p. F783.Google Scholar
- 30.Alekseenko, A.A., Belenov, S.V., Volochaev, V.A., Novomlinskiy, I.N., and Guterman, V.E., Cu@Pt/C catalysts: synthesis, structure, activity in oxygen reduction reaction, Condens. Matter Interphases, 2016, vol. 18, p. 460.Google Scholar
- 32.Perez, J., Paganin, V.A., and Antolini, E. Particle size effect for ethanol electro-oxidation on Pt/C catalysts in half-cell and in a single direct ethanol fuel cell, J. Electroanal. Chem., 2011, vol. 654, p. 108.Google Scholar
- 35.Pryadchenko, V.V., Srabionyan, V.V., Belenov, S.V., Volochaev, V.A., Kurzin, A.A., Avakyan, L.A., Zizak, I., Guterman, V.E., and Bugaev, L.A., Bimetallic PtCu nanoparticles in PtCu/C electrocatalysts: structural and electrochemical characterization, Appl. Catal. A, 2016, vol. 525, p. 226.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Alekseenko, A.A., Belenov, S.V., Volochaev, V.A., Novomlinskiy, I.N., and Guterman, V.E., Cu@Pt/C catalysts: synthesis, structure, activity in oxygen reduction reaction, Advanced Materials: Techniques, Physics, Mechanics and Applications, Springer Proc. Phys., Parinov, I.A., S.-H. Chang, and M. Jani, Eds., Heidelberg: Springer, 2017, vol. 193.Google Scholar
- 37.Leontyev, I.N., Leontyeva, D.V., Kuriganova, A.B., Popov, Y.V., Maslova, O.A., Glebova, N.V., Nechitailov, A.A., Zelenina, N.K., Tomasov, A.A., Hennet, L., and Smirnova, N.V., Characterization of the electrocatalytic activity of carbon-supported platinum-based catalysts by thermal gravimetric analysis, Mendeleev Commun., 2015, vol. 25, p. 468.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.Guterman, V.E., Belenov, S.V., Alekseenko, A.A., Rui Lin, Tabachkova, N.Yu., and Safronenko, O.I., Activity and Stability of Pt/C and Pt–Cu/C Electrocatalysts, Electrocatalysis, 2018, vol. 9, p. 550.Google Scholar