Polyacetal/Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene/Thermoplastic Polyurethane Blends and Their Nanocomposites Morphological and Rheological Behavior as a Tertiary Blend
- 1 Downloads
The effect of thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) on morphological and rheological properties of polyacetal/acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (POM/ABS) blends has been investigated. The morphological investigations revealed that addition of TPU to the blends improves the dispersion of dispersed phase, regardless of the dominant phase. In the POM rich phase blend, this effect was more significant and morphology changed from non-uniform to droplet-matrix. The rheological studies showed that complex viscosity as well as elasticity, increased by adding TPU to the POM/ABS blends. This improvement in rheological properties was more significant in the POM rich phase blend, which was proved by positively deviating blends (PDB) in the complex viscosity curve in the entire range of frequency obtained from the log-additivity rule. Such a phenomenon could have occurred due to partial miscibility of TPU with POM and placement of TPU at the interface and/or in POM phase. Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) micrographs showed that addition of Cloisite 30B nanoclay into the blend creates both intercalated and tactoids morphology. X-ray powder diffraction (XRD) analysis also confirmed the presence of two different types of nanoclay dispersion. TEM results also demonstrated that nanoclay particles morphology was intercalated and was located in the ABS phase as well as phase interfaces.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.J. G. Drobny, Handbook of Thermoplastic Elastomers (William Andrew, Oxford; Waltham; San Diego, USA, 2007).Google Scholar
- 18.X. Zheng, C. Zhang, C. Luo, G. Tian, L. Wang, and Y. Li, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 55, 11 (2016).Google Scholar
- 22.C. A. Haper, Handbook of Plastics, Elastomers and Composites, 4th ed. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2002).Google Scholar
- 29.S. Thomas, A. Boudenne, L. Ibos, Y. Candau, in Handbook Multiphase Polymer Systems (John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., Chichester, UK, 2011).Google Scholar
- 30.E. Feyz, Y. Jahani, M. Esfandeh, M. Ghafelehbashi, and S. H. Jafari, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 21, 1796(2010).Google Scholar
- 36.L. A. Utracki, in Polymer Blends Handbook, Ed. by L. A. Utracki and C. A. Wilkie (Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 2003), pp. 1559–1732.Google Scholar
- 38.L. A. Utracki and M. R. Kamal, in Polymer Blends Handbook, Ed. by L. A. Utracki and C. A. Wilkie (Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 2003).Google Scholar