Acylation of o-Cresol with Pyromellitic Dianhydride
- 7 Downloads
The acylation of o-cresol with pyromellitic dianhydride (PMDA) has been experimentally studied. The optimum conditions of the acylation reaction of o-cresol with PMDA have been determined. The synthesis has been performed in o-cresol melt at 120°C for 30 h at a reactant molar ratio of PMDA : o-cresol : SnCl4 = 1.0 : 4.1 : 2.0. The yield of 3,3,7,7-tetrakis(3-methyl-4-oxyphenyl)pyromellitide is 62.0% of the theoretical value. The structure of the target synthesis product has been proven by instrumental methods, namely, elemental analysis; thin layer chromatography (TLC); UV, IR, and 1H NMR spectroscopy; DSC; and high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry (HPLC/MS). The revealed properties of 3,3,7,7-tetrakis(3-methyl-4-oxyphenyl)pyromellitide allow it to be recommended as a tracer for oil reservoir evaluation.
Keywords:acylation pyromellitic dianhydride o-cresol
This work was supported by the Government of the Khanty–Mansi autonomous okrug Yugra (order no. 1234 of August 11, 2017 On the Competition of Scientific Projects in the Field of Fundamental and Applied Research) and as part of a state task for the Topchiev Institute of Petrochemical Synthesis, Russian Academy of Sciences.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The authors declare no conflict of interest requiring the disclosure in this publication.
- 2.S. V. Nekhoroshev, Yu. Yu. Petrova, and I. E. Nifant’ev, RU Patent No. 2 497 860, Byull. Izobret., No. 31 (2013).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. Sergeev, V. K. Shitikov, A. B. Ena, and R. N. Bravkova, Zh. Org. Khim. 20, 1284 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.A. K. Gasparyan, S. V. Nekhoroshev, and A. S. Knyazev, Orbital’, No. 1, 15 (2017).Google Scholar
- 7.E. V. Sokolovskii, G. B. Solov’ev, and Yu. I. Trenchikov, Indicator Methods for Oil and Gas Reservoir Evaluation (Nedra, Moscow, 1986) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.Yu. M. Volovenko, V. G. Kartsev, I. V. Komarov, et al., Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy for Chemists (MBFNP, Moscow, 2011) [in Russian].Google Scholar