Developing Approaches to Creating a Resource-Saving Technology for the Recovery of Valuable Components (Ultra-Pure Graphite, Diamondlike Carbon, and Strategic Metals) from High-Carbon Rocks
New prospective sources of valuable minerals, including substantial reserves of crystalline graphite, gold, platinum, rare earth elements, and diamondlike carbon, have been revealed by the authors in high-carbon rocks in the south of Russia’s Far East. A scheme has been developed for the hydrometallurgical recovery of strategic metals and extra-pure (99.98%) crystalline graphite, used as a base material for conducting plasma-chemical investigations, from graphite ore. As a result of the experiment, nanodiamonds have been recovered, which were presumably inherited from the natural graphite-containing rocks.
Keywords:Primorye high-carbon rock technologies for valuable minerals recovery Raman spectrometry extra-pure graphite diamondlike carbon noble and rare earth metals
This study was performed with support from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 17-05-00910.
- 1.Khanchuk, A.I., Plyusnina, L.P., and Molchanov, V.P., The first data on gold–platinoid mineralization in carbonaceous rocks of the Khanka Massif and prediction of a large noble metal deposit in Primorye, Dokl. Earth Sci., 2004, vol. 397, no. 6, pp. 820–824.Google Scholar
- 3.Khanchuk, A.I., Plyusnina, L.P., Ruslan, A.V., Likhoidov, G.G., and Barinov, N.N., Nature of graphitization and noble metal mineralization in metamorphic rocks of the northern Khanka Terrane, Primorye, Geol. Ore Deposits, 2013, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 225–244. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1075701513040041 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Popov, M., Churkin, V., Kirichenko, A., Denisov, V., Ovsyannikov, D., Kulnitskiy, B., Perezhogin, I., Aksenenkov, V., and Blank, V., Raman spectra and bulk modulus of nanodiamond in a size interval of 2–5 nm, Nanoscale Res. Lett., 2017, vol. 12, pp. 561–566. https://doi.org/10.1186/s11671-017-2333-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Khanchuk, A.I., Krysenko, G.F., Epov, D.G., Voit, A.V., Molchanov, V.P., and Medkov, M.A., Producing low-ash crystalline graphite from high-carbon rocks of the Far East south, Theor. Found. Chem. Eng., 2017, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 795–797. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0040579517050128 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Khanchuk, A.I., Molchanov, V.P., Medkov, M.A., Epov, D.G., Krysenko, G.F., Blokhin, M.G., and Elovsky, E.V., Distribution of lanthanides during treatment of high-carbon rocks with ammonium hydrogen difluoride, Dokl. Chem., 2015, vol. 460, no. 1, pp. 29–32. https://doi.org/10.1134/S001250081501005X CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Rakov, E.G., Methods for continuous production of carbon nanofibers and nanotubes, Khim. Tekhnol., 2003, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 2–7.Google Scholar