Microstructure and Properties of Graphitized Free-Cutting Steel
- 6 Downloads
This article describes the metallographic studies and the tensile tests of quenched and high-temperature tempered samples of graphitized free-cutting steel and the experience of machining graphitized samples. The experimental results have shown that the microstructure of the graphitized steel is comprised mainly of ferrite and graphite, and graphite particles are distributed both along grain boundaries and inside them. The morphology of graphite is presented by a spherical shape (average diameter of ~10 μm). The ratio of the yield stress to the ultimate strength is 0.59, and the machinability coefficient is kT = 5.4241. The microstructure of steel samples after quenching and high-temperature tempering is comprised mainly of secondary sorbite. In this case, the ratio of the yield stress to the ultimate strength is 0.82.
Keywordsgraphitized free-cutting steel microstructure yield stress to ultimate strength ratio machinability coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. Aliev, “Development and implementation of innovative lead-free free-cutting steel for manufacturing of ignition distributor parts for carburetor engines,” Metalloved. Term. Obrab. Met., No. 3, 46–47 (2012).Google Scholar
- 2.M. S. Nikitin, “Possibilities of tin application for steel alloying,” Vestn. YuUrGU, Ser. Metallurgiya, No. 14 (231), 51–55 (2011).Google Scholar
- 3.Takashi Iwamoto and Toshiyuki Hoshino, “Bar and wire steels for gears and valves of automobiles-ecofriendly free-cutting steel without lead addition,” JFE Tech. Report., No. 4, 74–80 (2004).Google Scholar
- 4.Yongjun Zhang, Jingtao Han, Quanli Wang, et al., “Research and development of graphitized hypoeutectoid free-cutting steel,” Iron & Steel., No. 8 (43), 73–76 (2008).Google Scholar
- 5.Yin Yun-Yang, Fang Fang, Yan Xiang, et al., “Microstructure and properties of environmental graphitized free-cutting steel,” Trans. Mater. Heat Treatment, No. 4 (34), 133–137 (2013).Google Scholar