First Report of Reef associated fish, Apolemichthys xanthurus (Pomacanthidae) from Andhra Pradesh coast, India
- 12 Downloads
The present paper reports one reef associated fish species of the family Pomacanthidae, Apolemichthys xanthurus (Bennett, 1833) for the first time from the Andhra Pradesh coast. The specimen was collected from Kumbhabhishekam fishing harbour, Kakinada. Current manuscript deals with species description, morphometric and meristic characters to record its occurrence along Andhra Pradesh coast.
Keywords:new record Pomacanthidae Kakinada Perciformes
Authors are grateful to Dr. Kailash Chandra, Director, Zoological Survey of India, for providing necessary facilities for the work. We thank Dr. Basudev Tripathy, Zoological Survey of India, Kolkata for his generous support as survey team leader and other survey party members for their co-operations.
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
Conflict of interest. The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
Statement of the welfare of animals. All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- 1.Allen, G.R., Butterfly and Angelfishes of the World, New York: Wiley, 1979, vol. 2.Google Scholar
- 2.Allen, G.R., Steene, R., and Allen, M., A Guide to Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes, Singapore: Tropical Reef Res., 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Barman, R.P., Kar, S., and Mukherjee, P., Marine and estuarine fishes, in State Fauna Series 5: Fauna of Andhra Pradesh, Part 2: Mammals and Marine and Estuaries Fishes, Kolkata: Zool. Surv. India, 2004, pp. 97–311.Google Scholar
- 4.Bennett, E.T., Characters of new species of fishes from Ceylon, Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond., 1833, part 2, pp. 182–184.Google Scholar
- 5.Devarapalli, P., Finfish Atlas of EGREE, EGREE Foundation, An Initiative of GoI-UNDP-GEF-GoAP (EGREE) Project, Kakinada: Andhra Pradesh, 2017, pp. 790.Google Scholar
- 6.Eschmeyer, W.N., and Fong, J.D., Species by family/subfamily, Version 02/2018. http://researcharchive.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/SpeciesByFamily.asp.Google Scholar
- 7.FAO Species Identification Sheets for Fishery Purposes, Western Indian Ocean (Fishing Area 51), Fischer, W., and Bianchi, G., Eds., Rome: Food Agric. Org., 1984, vols. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 8.FishBase, Version 2018, Froese, R. and Pauly, D., Eds., 2018. http://www.fishbase.org.Google Scholar
- 10.Fricke, R., Eschmeyer, W.N., and Fong, J.D., Species of fishes by family/subfamily, Version 02/2019. http://research.calacademy.org/research/ichthyology/catalog/Species.Google Scholar
- 11.Fricke, R., Molochau, T., Durville, P., Chabanet, P., Tessier, E., and Letourneur, Y., Annotated checklist of the fish species (Pisces) of La Reunion, including a Red List of threatened and declining species, Stuttg. Ber. Naturknd. A, 2009, vol. 2, pp. 1–168.Google Scholar
- 12.Karuppasamy, K., Biodiversity of fish species along Wadge Bank, South India, MSc Thesis, Nagapattinam: Tamil Nadu Fisheries Univ., 2016.Google Scholar
- 13.Krishnan, S. and Mishra, S. S., Fishes, in India Estuarine Ecosystem Series, Part 4: Fauna of Godavari Estuary, Kolkata: Zool. Surv. India, 2001, pp. 85–166.Google Scholar
- 14.Mishra V.M. and Ranjan, M., Circulation, multiplicity and classification of marine angelfishes (Pomacanthidae) of Tamilnadu, Southeast coast of India, Adv. Aquacult. Fish. Manage., 2015, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 11–21.Google Scholar
- 15.Moenich, D.R., Marine angels—Pomacanthus, T.F.H. Mag., 1991, vol. 39, pp. 68–81.Google Scholar
- 16.Mohana Rao, K., Murthy, K.S.R., Reddy, N.P.C., Subrahmanyam, A.S., Lakshminarayana, S., Rao, M.M.M., Sarma, K.V.L.N.S., Prem-Kumar, M.K., Sree, A., and Bapuji, M. Submerged beach ridge lineation and associated sedentary fauna in the inner shelf of Gopalpur coast, Orissa, Bay of Bengal, Curr. Sci., 2001, vol. 81, no 7, pp. 828–833.Google Scholar
- 17.Pyle, R., Pomacanthidae: angelfishes, in FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes. The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Pacific, Vol. 5: Bony Fishes, Part 3: Menidae to Pomacentridae, Carpenter, K.E. and Niem, V.H., Eds., Rome: Food Agric. Org., 2001, pp. 3266–3286.Google Scholar
- 18.Rajan, P.T. and Sreeraj, C.R., New records of coral reef fishes from Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Rec. Zool. Surv. India, 2015, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 179–189.Google Scholar
- 19.Randall, J.E., Caribbean Reef Fishes, Neptune City, NJ: T.F.H. Publ., 1996.Google Scholar
- 20.Randall, J.E. and Anderson, R.C., Annotated checklist of the epipelagic and shore fishes of the Maldive Islands, Ichthyol. Bull., J.L.B. Smith Inst. Ichthyol., 1993, no. 59, pp. 1–47.Google Scholar
- 21.Rao, D.V., Guide to Reef Fishes of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Kolkata: Zool. Surv. India, 2003, pp. 395–396.Google Scholar
- 22.Ray, D., Yennawar, P., Ghorai, N., and Mohapatra, A., Addition of three angelfish (family: Pomacanthidae) to the ichthyofauna of West Bengal, India, J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc., 2012, vol. 109, no 3, pp. 209–212.Google Scholar
- 24.Satapoomin, U., The fishes of southwestern Thailand, the Andaman Sea—a review of research and a provisional checklist of species, Phuket Mar. Biol. Cent. Res. Bull., 2011, vol. 70, pp. 29–77.Google Scholar
- 25.Thomas, P.A., Sree, A., Bapuji, M., Rao, K.M., and Murthy, K.S.R., Biodiversity, zoogeography and affinity of Orissa sponges, Proc. National Conf. on Utilization of Bioresources-NATCUB-2002, Sree, A, Rao, Y.R., Nanda, B., and Misra, V.N., Eds., Bhubaneshwar: Reg. Res. Lab., 2002, pp. 351–360.Google Scholar
- 26.Thomas, P.A., Sree, A., and Bapuji, M. Affinity and zoogeography of the gorgonid fauna of Gopalpur (Orissa) coast (Bay of Bengal), Ecol., Environ. Conserv. Pap., 2004, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 117–122.Google Scholar