Problem of the Application of Mathematical Methods in Geology
The most characteristic errors in the application of mathematical-statistic and modeling methods encountered periodically during the peer reviewing of geological scientific journals are analyzed, and recommendations for their elimination are given. Problems of the determination of relative errors in the simplified mathematical models are discussed. Necessity of calculating parameters of the background value and eliminating its influence on computation of the “useful signal” is shown. A graphic method for determining the minimum anomalous content is also proposed for discussion and testing. Characteristic errors and necessity for maintaining constraints of the application of correlation analysis are demonstrated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alekseenko, V.A., Geokhimicheskie metody poiskov mestorozhdenii poleznykh iskopaemykh (Geochemical Methods of Prospecting for Mineral Deposits), Moscow: Logos, 2000.Google Scholar
- Berger, M.G., Terrigennaya mineralogiya (Terrigenous Mineralogy), Moscow: Nedra, 1986.Google Scholar
- Borovikov, A.A., Matematicheskaya statistika (Mathematical Statistics), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.Google Scholar
- Il’yash, V.V., Metodika obrabotki dannykh litogeokhimicheskikh s"emok (Method for Processing the Lithogeochemical Survey Data), Voronezh: Voronezh. Gos. Univ., 2004.Google Scholar
- Lalomov, A.V., Levchenko, E.N., and Bochneva, A.A., Geological-statistical analysis of the results of technological mapping of rare metal–titanium placer in the Transural placer region, Razved. Okhr. Nedr, 2017, no. 2, pp. 10–17.Google Scholar
- Patyk-Kara, N.G., Lalomov, A.V., Bochneva, A.A., et al., Prerequisites for the formation of titanium–zirconium deposits in the Transural placer region: A regional geological-evolutionary model, Lithol. Miner. Resour., 2009, no. 6, pp. 59844–556.Google Scholar
- Shestakov, Yu.G., Matematicheskie metody v geologii (Mathematical Methods in Geology), Krasnoyarsk: KGU, 1988.Google Scholar
- Solovov, A.P., Geokhimicheskie metody poiskov mestorozhdenii poleznykh iskopaemykh (Geochemical Methods of Prospecting for Mineral Deposits), Moscow: Nedra, 1984.Google Scholar
- Taylor, J.R., An Introduction to Error Analysis, New York: Univ. Sci. Books, 1982.Google Scholar