Effect of Cestodal Infestation on the Distribution Pattern of Digestive Enzyme Activities along the Small Intestine of the Kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla)
- 9 Downloads
Activities of digestive enzymes in the intestine of adult and nestling kittiwakes (Rissa tridactyla) were studied. Glycosidase and protease activities in the three parts of the small intestine (proximal, medial and distal) as well as their total activity were determined, and the glycosidase/protease activity ratio (G/P coefficient) was calculated. Enzyme activities were found to be distributed unevenly along the intestine. In a proximal to distal direction, glycosidase and protease activities decrease in nestlings and increase in adult kittiwakes. In nestlings, protease activity values are several times higher than in adults. G/P coefficient values vary within the range of 0.33–0.92 in adult animals and 0.22–0.41 in nestlings. Infestation with tapeworms Alcataenia larina (Cestoda, Dilepididae) and Tetrabothrius erostris (Cestoda, Tetrabothriidae) leads to reduced digestive enzyme activities in the small intestine of kittiwake nestlings. In adult animals, infestation with T. erostris leads to a reduced and with A. larina to an increased protease activity.
Key wordskittiwake proteases glycosidases small intestine Alcataenia larina Tetrabothrius erostris
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Belopolsky, L.O., Ekologiya morskikh kolonial’nykh ptits Barentseva morya (Ecology of Marine Colonial Birds of the Barents Sea), Moscow, Leningrad, 1957.Google Scholar
- 6.Kuklin, V.V., Helminthofauna of the kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) of the Barents Sea, Zool. Zh., 2013, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 781–789.Google Scholar
- 7.Alekseenko, L.N., Determination of proteinase activity by cleavage of protein substrates, Sovremennye metody v biokhimii (Modern Methods in Biochemistry), vol. 2, Moscow, 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.Ugolev, A.M. and Iezuitova, N.N., Determination of activity of invertase and other disaccharidases, Issledovanie pishchevaritel’nogo apparata u cheloveka: obzor sovremennykh metodov (Investigation of the Human Digestive Apparatus: A Review of Modern Methods), Leningrad, 1969, pp. 187–192.Google Scholar
- 18.Kuklina, M.M. and Kuklin, V.V., The activities of digestive enzymes as a determinant factor in localization of Tetrabothrius erostris (Loennberg) (Cestoda: Tetrabothriidae) in the intestine of the herring gull Larus argentatus Pontoppidan, J. Water Biol., 2016, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 189–195.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Clayton, D.H. and Moore, J., Host-parasite Evolution: General Principles and Avian Models, Oxford, 1997.Google Scholar
- 24.Ryzhikov, K.M., Rysavy, B., Khokhlova, I.G., Tolkatchova, L.M., and Kornyuchin, V.V., Helminths of Fish-Eating Birds of the Palaearctic Region. 2. Moscow; Prague: USSR Acad. Sci., Helminthol. Lab. Czechoslovak Acad. Sci., Inst. Parasitol. Charles Univ. Prague, Faculty Sci., 1985.Google Scholar
- 25.Ugolev, A.M., Evolyutsiya pishchevareniya i printsipy evolyutsii funktsii: Elementy sovremennogo funktsionalizma (Evolution of Digestion and Principles of Evolution of Functions: Elements of Modern Functionalism), Leningrad, 1985.Google Scholar