High-Speed Extrustion of Polyethylene in the Acceleration of Projectiles in Ballistic Launchers
- 1 Downloads
Acceleration of projectiles in ballistic launchers by means of high-speed extrusion of polyethylene through a tapered adapter is experimentally and theoretically studied. Quasi-one-dimensional gas-dynamic model of a polydisperse mixture of gas and powder particles and a viscoplastic model of a deformable piston are used. The results of numerical simulation of the process under study and the results of a series of shots from a powder ballistic launcher are given. The influence of the geometry of a tapered section and input velocity of the deformable piston on the output velocity of a projectile is experimentally investigated.
Keywordshigh-speed extrusion methods for acceleration of bodies hydrodynamic effect internal ballistics ballistic launchers polymer deformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. A. Zlatin, A. P. Krasil’shchikov, G. I. Mishin, and N. N. Popov, Ballistic Launchers and Their Application in Experimental Studies (Nauka, Moscow, 1974) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.N. V. Bykov, “Numerical Modelling of Physical Processes in a Ballistic Laboratory Setup with a Tapered Adapter and Plastic Piston Used for Obtaining High Muzzle Velocities,” J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 572, 012055 (2014).Google Scholar
- 3.E. N. Brown, J. Furmanski, K. J. Ramos, et al., “High-Density Polyethylene Damage at Extreme Tensile Conditions,” J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 500, 112011 (2014).Google Scholar
- 5.N. V. Bykov, V. V. Zelentsov, and A. S. Karneychik, “Bicaliber Ballistic Gun Mount with the Deformable Piston,” Izh. Zh.: Nauka Innov. 9 (2013) [Eng. J.: Sci. Innov. 9 (21) (2013)]; DOI: https://doi.org/10.18698/2308-6033-2013-9-945
- 7.Yu. P. Khomenko, A. N. Ishchenko, and V. Z. Kasimov, Mathematical Simulation of Intraballistic Processes in Barrel Systems (Izd. Sib. Otd. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Novosibirsk, 1999) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.I. V. Semenov, P. S. Utkin, I. F. Akhmed’yanov, and I. S. Men’shov, “Application of Multiprocessor Computational Equipment for Solving Internal Ballistics Problems,” Vychisl. Met. Programm. 12, 183–193 (2011).Google Scholar
- 9.N. V. Bykov and E. A. Nesterenko, “Comparative Analysis of Computational Codes for Solving Internal Ballistics Problems on the Example of an AGARD Test Problem,” Obor. Tekh., No. 2, 21–36 (2015).Google Scholar
- 10.N. V. Bykov and E. A. Nesterenko, “Mathematical Modeling and Visualization of Intrachamber Processes in a Ballistic Setup with Hydrodynamic Effect,” Nauchnaya Vizualizatsiya (Scientific Visualization) 7 (1), 65–77 (2015)].Google Scholar
- 11.V. A. Poselevich, N. N. Pilyugin, S. Yu. Chernyavskii, “Effect of Friction on Motion of a Piston Driven by Combustion Products,” Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz. 19 (5), 73–79 (1978) [J. Appl. Mech. Tech. Phys. 19 (5), 634–639 (1978)].Google Scholar
- 15.Y. Wada and M.-S. Liou, “A Flux Splitting Scheme with High-Resolution and Robustness for Discontinuities,” AIAA Paper No. 94-0083 (1994).Google Scholar