Free Vibrations of a Cylindrical Shell Partially Resting on Elastic Foundation
- 3 Downloads
The free vibrations of a circular cylindrical shell resting on a two-parameter Pasternak elastic foundation are investigated. The elastic medium is inhomogeneous along the shell length, and the inhomogeneity represents an alternation of areas with and without the medium. The behavior of the shell is considered in the framework of the classical shell theory based on the Kirchhoff–Love hypotheses. The corresponding geometric and physical relations, together with the equations of motion, are reduced to a system of eight ordinary differential equations for new unknowns. The problem is solved by applying the Godunov orthogonal sweep method, and the differential equations are integrated using the fourth-order Runge–Kutta method. The natural frequencies are calculated by applying a stepwise iterative procedure, followed by a further refinement based on the bisection method. The results are validated by comparing them with available numerical-analytical solutions. For simply supported, clamped-clamped, and clamped-free cylindrical shells, the numerical results reveal that the lowest vibration frequencies depend on the elastic medium characteristics and the type of the inhomogeneity. It is shown that a violation in the smoothness of the curves is caused by variations in the lowest frequency mode, the ratio of the size of the elastic foundation to the total length of the shell, and its stiffness, as well as by a combination of the boundary conditions specified at the ends of the shell.
Keywordsclassical shell theory cylindrical shell Godunov’s orthogonal sweep method free vibrations Pasternak elastic medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pasternak, P.L., Osnovy novogo metoda rascheta fundamentov na uprugom osnovanii pri pomoshchi dvukh koeffitsientov posteli (On a New Method of Analysis of an Elastic Foundation by Means of Two Foundation Constants), Moscow: Gosstroyizdat, 1954.Google Scholar
- 2.Vlasov, V.Z. and Leontev, N.N., Balki, plity i obolochki na uprugom osnovanii (Beams, Plates and Shells on Elastic Foundation), Moscow: Fizmatgiz, 1960.Google Scholar
- 3.Gorbunov-Posadov, M.I. and Malikova, T.A., Raschet konstruktsij na uprugom osnovanii (Calculation of Structures on Elastic Foundation), Moscow: Stroyizdat, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.Gheisari, M., Molatefi, H., and Ahmadi, S.S., Third order formulation for vibrating non-homogeneous cylindrical shells in elastic medium, J. Solid Mech., 2011, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 346–352.Google Scholar
- 7.Leonenko, D.V., Natural vibrations of the three-layered cylindrical shells in the elastic pasternak’s medium, Mekh. Mashin, Mekhanizm. Mater., 2013, no. 4 (25), pp. 57–59.Google Scholar
- 15.Mohammadimehr, M., Moradi, M., and Loghman, A., Influence of the elastic foundation on the free vibration and buckling of thin-walled piezoelectric-based FGM cylindrical shells under combined loading, J. Solid Mech., 2014, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 347–365.Google Scholar
- 16.Kamarian, S., Sadighi, M., Shakeri, M., and Yas, M.H., Free vibration response of sandwich cylindrical shells with functionally graded material face sheets resting on Pasternak foundation, J. Sandwich Struct. Mater., 2014, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 511–533. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636214541573 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Bahadori, R. and Najafizadeh, M.M., Free vibration analysis of two-dimensional functionally graded axisymmetric cylindrical shell on Winkler-Pasternak elastic foundation by first-order shear deformation theory and using Navier-differential quadrature solution methods, Appl. Math. Model., 2015, vol. 39, no. 16, pp. 4877–4894. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2015.04.012 MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Sofiyev, A.H., Hui, D., Haciyev, V.C., Erdem, H., Yuan, G.Q., Schnack, E., and Guldal, V., The nonlinear vibration of orthotropic functionally graded cylindrical shells surrounded by an elastic foundation within first order shear deformation theory, Composites, Part B, 2017, vol. 116, pp. 170–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.02.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Karmishin, A.V., Lyaskovets, V.A., Myachenkov, V.I., and Frolov, A.N., Statika i dinamika tonkostennykh obolochechnykh konstruktsii (The Statics and Dynamics of Thin-Walled Shell Structures), Moscow: Mashinostroyeniye, 1975.Google Scholar