Analysis of Stability of Small Metal Clusters during Metal Vapor Condensation
A statistical analysis of the results of molecular-dynamic calculations of metal (Cu or Ti) vapor condensation in an inert gas (Ar) medium has been performed. Condensation proceeds with the formation of small particles consisting of metal atoms—clusters. The internal energy of the metal cluster—the sum of the kinetic energy of the atoms in the center of mass system and potential energy—is chosen as the key characteristic describing its state. It is shown that the internal energy value gives the possibility for the prediction of the duration of the cluster existence, from birth to decay, i.e., it describes the ability of the cluster to grow. The temporal evolution of the distribution function of the clusters over the internal energy values is presented.
The work was performed with support from the government of the Russian Federation (Regulation no. 211 of March 16, 2013), Agreement no. 02.A03.21.0011, and also with partial support from the Institute of Metallurgy, Ural Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (IMET), topic no. 0396-2019-0004.
- 1.Frishberg, I.V., Kvater, L.I., Kuz’min, B.P., and Gribovskii, S.V., Gazofaznyi metod polucheniya poroshkov (Gas Phase Powder Method), Moscow: Nauka, 1978.Google Scholar
- 3.Zel’dovich, Ya.B., Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1942, vol. 12, p. 525.Google Scholar
- 4.Frenkel’, Ya.I., Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1939, vol. 9, no. 2, p. 199.Google Scholar
- 8.Lenev, D.Yu. and Norman, G.E., J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 2018, vol. 946, 012111.Google Scholar
- 12.Korenchenko, A.E., Vorontsov, A.G., Gel’chinskii, B.R., and Sannikov, G.P., Phys. A (Amsterdam, Neth.), 2018, vol. 496, p. 147.Google Scholar