Thermoluminescence of Dysprosium Doped Strontium Borate Glass for (NA, LI, CA) Modifiers Irradiated to High Dose 60CO
- 2 Downloads
This article reports the characteristics of thermoluminescence (TL) dosimeter of dysprosium doped strontium borate glass for NaO, Li2O, and CaO modifiers imposed by 10–90 Gy dose of 60Co gamma ray irradiation. The different elements are (70.0 – x) B2O3–20SrO–10NaO–xDy2O3, 10Li2O–20SrO–(70 – x)B2O3–(x)Dy2O3 and 10CaO–20SrO–(70.0 – x)B2O3–(x)Dy2O3 (x = 0, 0.10, 0.30, 0.50, 0.70 mol %). The glass was formed by melt quenching method and the ranges of Dy2O3 were 0.0 to 0.7 mol %. Calcium strontium borate doped with 0.3 mol % Dy2O3 shows very good linearity on dose response and gives an excellent sensitivity at 50 Gy dose of 60Co gamma ray irradiation. The samples N1, L1, C3 were completely amorphous. The optimums anneal temperature, time, concentration of Dy2O3 and heating rate were investigated for glass samples N1, L1, C3. The systematic characteristics of glow curve, TL intensity, reproducibility, sensitivity, kinetic parameters and effective atomic number were studied for three selected samples. All samples show the maximum peak from 154–200°C temperatures.
Keywords:TL dosimeter high dose Co-60 gamma irradiation TL dose response sensitivity
The authors would like to thank the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Bangi for providing irradiation facilities. The authors would like to thank the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) of Malaysia and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) for supporting the research and providing research grant (R.J130000.7826.4F736).
- 3.Gautam, C., Yadav, A.K., and Singh, A.K., ISRN Ceram., 2012, vol. 2012, p. 17.Google Scholar
- 4.Aboud, H., Wagiran, H., Hossain, I., and Hussain, R., Int. J. Phys. Sci., 2012, vol. 7, no. 6, p. 922.Google Scholar
- 6.Hamzah, S.A., Saeed, M.A., Wagiran, H., and Hashim, I.H., EPJ Web of Conferences, 2017, 156 00007. https://doi.org/10.1051/epjconf/201715600007
- 7.Supian, S. and Evans, C.J., Statistics and Nuclear Counting: Theory, Problems and Solutions, Serdang: Universiti Pertanian Malaysia, 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.Alajerami, Y., Thermoluminescence and optical characteristics of lithium potassium borate glass for radiation therapy dose measurement, PhD Thesis, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 2014.Google Scholar
- 10.Marcazzo, J., Santiago, M., D’Angelo, C., Furetta, C., and Caselli, E., Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B, 2010, vol. 286, no. 2, p. 183.Google Scholar
- 11.Manam, J. and Sharma, S., K, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B, 2004, vol. 217, no. 2, p. 314.Google Scholar
- 12.McKeever, S.W.S., Moscovitch, M., and Townsend, P.D., Thermoluminescence Dosimetry Materials: Properties and Uses., Ashford: Nuclear Technology Publishing. 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.Furetta, C., Prokic, M., Salamon, R., Prokic, V., and Kitis, G., Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A, 2001, vol. 456, no. 3, p. 411.Google Scholar
- 14.Jiang, L.H., Zhang, Y.L., Li, C.Y., Hao, J.Q., and Su, Q., J. Mater., 2007, vol. 61, p. 5107.Google Scholar