Formation of a Ring-Shaped Region of Increased Electron Temperature in the Subauroral Ionosphere in Winter
- 3 Downloads
The results of numerical simulations of the electron temperature (Te) are compared with measurement data provided by the CHAMP satellite to show the possibility of the formation of a ring-shaped region of temperature increase in the subauroral ionosphere surrounding the auroral oval in the range of 04–07 h (UT) when the high-latitude ionosphere is on the night (shaded) side.
This study was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project nos. 15-45-05090-r_vostok_a and 15-45-05066-r_vostok_a.
- 2.Bryunelli, B.E. and Namgaladze, A.A., Fizika ionosfery (Ionospheric Physics), Moscow: Nauka, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Golikov, I.A., Gololobov, A.Yu., and Popov, V.I., Modeling the electron temperature distribution in the F2 region of high-latitude ionosphere for winter solstice conditions, Sol.-Terr. Phys., 2016, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 54–62.Google Scholar
- 5.Gololobov, A.Yu., Golikov, I.A., and Popov, V.I., Modeling the high-latitude ionosphere taking into account the divergence between geographical and geomagnetic poles, Vestn. Sev.-Vost. Fed. Univ., 2014, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 46–54.Google Scholar
- 7.Klimenko, V.V., Koren’kov, Yu.N., Namgaladze, A.A., Karpov, I.V., Surotkin, V.A., and Naumova, N.M., Numerical simulation of “hot spots” in the Earth’s ionosphere, Geomagn. Aeron., 1991, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 554–557.Google Scholar
- 8.Kofman, W., Very high electron temperature in the daytime F region at Sondrestrom, Geophys. Res. Lett., 1984, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 912–922.Google Scholar
- 9.Krinberg, I.A. and Tashchilin, A.V., Ionosfera i plazmosfera (The Ionosphere and Plasmasphere), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.Mingalev, G.I. and Mingaleva, V.S., Simulation of the spatial structure of the high-latitude F-region for different conditions of solar illumination of the ionosphere, in Proc. 25th Annual Seminar “Physics of Auroral Phenomena”, Apatity, Russia, 2002, pp. 107−110.Google Scholar
- 13.Prölss, G.W., Ionospheric F-region storms: Unsolved problems, in Characterising the Ionosphere. Meeting Proceedings. RTO-MP-IST-056, Neuilly-sur-Seine, France: RTO, 2006, pp. 10-1–10-20.Google Scholar