Global Oscillations of the Sun according to SOHO/LASCO C3 Coronagraph Data
- 9 Downloads
Long-period oscillations in the brightness of the Sun as a star have been analyzed on the basis of measurements of the solar light reflected by planets when they come into the field of view of the Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph (LASCO C3) onboard the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). We took sequences of FITS intensitygrams from the archive of the SOHO/LASCO C3 space observatory for the observational data; they were 1024 × 1024 pixels in size, and they were acquired with the 12-min interval. In 5-day continuous time series of the brightness of Mars and Jupiter, coinciding modes of 8–10 and 36–38 h were found. This coincidence apparently indicates their solar origin. In addition, for Mars, we obtained 25-day series of time variations of the reflected solar radiation, in which a mode with even a lower frequency of 8–10 days was detected.
This work was supported by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences (project no. 28) and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 18-02-00168) and Russian Science Foundation (project no. 15-12-20001).
- 2.Chorley, N., Hnat, B., Nakariakov, V.M., Inglis, A.R., and Bakunina, I.A., Long period oscillations in sunspots, Astron. Astrophys., 2010, vol. 513, id A27.Google Scholar
- 5.Efremov, V.I., Parfinenko, L.D., and Solov’ev, A.A., Supergranulation velocity field from the MDI (SOHO) data, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2014, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 1026–1031.Google Scholar
- 7.Efremov, V.I., Parfinenko, L.D., and Solov’ev, A.A., Analysis of a 12-hour artifact in LF oscillations of the magnetic field of sunspots according to SDO/HMI data, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2017, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1045–1055.Google Scholar
- 13.Kennedy, J.R., Jefferies, S.M. and Hill, F., Solar g-mode signatures in p-mode signals, in GONG 1992, Seismic Investigation of the Sun and Stars, Brown, T.M., Ed., San Francisco: ASP,1993, vol. 42, pp. 273–276.Google Scholar
- 15.Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., Rybak, A.L., Nagovitsyna, E.Yu., et al., Magnetic field variations and spatial configurations of long-period sunspot oscillations according to the SOHO data, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2012, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 902–907.Google Scholar
- 17.Rowe, J.F., Gaulme, P., Lissauer, J., et al., Time-series analysis of broadband photometry of Neptune from K2, Astron. J., 2017, vol. 153, no. 4, id 149.Google Scholar
- 19.Sigismondi, C., Ucci, G., Zema, V., et al., Photometry of Delta Scorpii from 1996 to 2013 using SOHO LASCO C3 coronagraph, 2014. https://arxiv.org/abs/1410.8492.Google Scholar
- 20.Smirnova, V., Riehokainen, A., Ryzhov, V., et al., Long-period oscillations of millimeter emission above sunspots, Astron. Astrophys., 2011, vol. 534, id A137.Google Scholar
- 21.Smirnova, V., Efremov, V.I., Parfinenko, L.D., Riehokainen, A., and Solov’ev, A.A., Artifacts of SDO/HMI data and long-period oscillations of sunspots, Astron. Astrophys., 2013, vol. 554, id A121.Google Scholar
- 22.Yuan, D., Nakariakov, V.M., Chorley, N., and Foullon, C., Leakage of long-period oscillations from the chromosphere to the corona, Astron. Astrophys, 2011, vol. 533, id A116.Google Scholar