Features of the Spectrum of Natural VLF Emissions in the Near-Equatorial Region of the Upper Ionosphere from DEMETER Satellite Observations
- 10 Downloads
The generation of the U-shaped spectrum, an unusual wave phenomenon observed in the equatorial part of the DEMETER satellite orbit, is studied. This wave phenomenon is explained for the first time based on the assumption that this emission is formed by the waves generated by lightning discharges, while the shape of the spectrum is determined by the features of wave propagation and damping in the near-equatorial region of the upper ionosphere.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 16-52-16010 NTSNIL_a.
- 1.Ginzburg, V.L. and Rukhadze, A.A., Volny v magnitoaktivnoi plazme (Waves in Magnetoactive Plasma), Moscow: Fizmatlit, 1972.Google Scholar
- 3.Helliwell, R.A., Whistlers and Related Ionospheric Phenomena, Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1965.Google Scholar
- 4.Němec, F., Parrot, M., Santolík, O., Rodger, C.J., Rycroft, M.J., Hayosh, M., Shklyar, D., and Demekhov, A., Survey of magnetospheric line radiation events observed by the DEMETER spacecraft, J. Geophys. Res., 2009, vol. 114, A05203. doi 10.1029/2008JA014016Google Scholar
- 5.Parrot, M., Berthelier, J.J., Blecki, J., et al., Unexpected very low frequency (VLF) radio events recorded by the ionospheric satellite DEMETER, Surv. Geophys., 2015, vol. 36, no. 3, doi 10.1007/s10712-015-9315-5Google Scholar
- 6.Shklyar, D.R., Key problems in numerical simulation of spectrograms related to emissions caused by lightning strokes, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2005, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 474–487.Google Scholar
- 8.Shklyar, D.R., Balikhin, M.A., and Titova, E.E., A contribution to the theory of the equatorial noise generation in the Earth’s magnetosphere, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2017, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 691–697.Google Scholar