Systematics and Distribution of Ferret Badgers Melogale (Mammalia, Mustelidae) in Vietnam: First Genetic Data
- 1 Downloads
Genetic studies of the ferret badgers Melogale conducted in Vietnam have shown that this area is inhabited by three species, M. moschata, M. personata, and M. cucphuongensis, which can be attributed to sibling species (cryptic species). M. personata was found to be widespread not only in southern and central Vietnam, but also in the northern provinces (Lang Son, Ha Giang, Ninh Binh), while M. cucphuongensis was found in the provinces Lang Son, Ha Giang, Cao Bang, and Dak Lak, apart from Ninh Binh, from where it was described. The data obtained suggest a sympatric distribution of all three species over the Vietnam area and confirm sympatry of M. personata and M. moschata in southern Vietnam, which has been earlier established on the basis of morphological data.
We are grateful to A.V. Shchinov, A.E. Balakirev, and A.N. Tikhonov for the help in collection of the material.
The study was partly supported by the Program of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Science “Biodiversity of the Natural Systems” and by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 16-04-00085).
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest. This article does not contain any studies involving animals or human participants performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Wozencraft, W.C., in Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference, Wilson, D.E. and Reeder, D.M., Eds., Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, 2005, 3rd ed., pp. 532–628.Google Scholar
- 4.Sato, J.J., Hosoda, T., Wolsan, M., and Suzuki, H., Zool. Science, 2004, no. 21, pp. 111–118.Google Scholar
- 5.Rozhnov, V.V., Zool. Zh., 1994, vol. 73, no. 7–8, pp. 227–232.Google Scholar
- 6.Rozhnov, V.V., Small Carnivore Conserv., 1994, nos. 10, p. 14.Google Scholar
- 7.Dang, N.C., Endo, H., Nguyen, T.S., Oshida, T., et al., (Checklist of Wild Mammal Species of Vietnam), Shoukadoh (in Vietnamese).Google Scholar
- 8.Abramov, A.V. and Rozhnov, V.V., Small Carnivore Conserv., 2014, no. 51, pp. 68–70.Google Scholar
- 10.Hall, T.A., Nucl. Acids Symp., 1999, vol. 41, pp. 95–98.Google Scholar
- 13.Yu, L., Peng, D., Liu, J., Luan, P., et al., BMC Biol., 2011, vol. 11, no. 92. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/11/92Google Scholar
- 15.Koepfli, K.-P., Deere, K.A., Slater, G.J., Begg, C., et al., BMC Biol., 2008, vol. 6, no. 10. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7007/6/10Google Scholar