Asymptotic Eigenfunctions of the Operator ∇D(x)∇ Defined in a Two-Dimensional Domain and Degenerating on Its Boundary and Billiards with Semi-Rigid Walls
- 5 Downloads
We propose a method for constructing asymptotic eigenfunctions of the operator ̂L = ∇D(x1,x2)∇ defined in a domain Ω ? R 2 with coefficient D(x) degenerating on the boundary ∂Ω. Such operators arise, for example, in problems about long water waves trapped by coasts and islands. These eigenfunctions are associated with analogs of Liouville tori of integrable geodesic flows with the metric defined by the Hamiltonian system with Hamiltonian D(x)p2 and degenerating on ∂ Ω. The situation is unusual compared, say, with the case of integrable two-dimensional billiards, because the momentum components of trajectories on such “tori” are infinite over the boundary, where D(x) = 0, although their projections onto the plane R2 are compact sets, as a rule, diffeomorphic to annuli in R2. We refer to such systems as billiards with semi-rigid walls.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Le Blond, P.H. and Mysak, L., Volny v okeane (Waves in the Ocean), Moscow: Mir, 1981, Vol. 1. Translated from Waves in the Ocean, Le Blond, P.H. and Mysak, L.A., Eds., Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1978.Google Scholar
- 2.Birman, M.Sh. and Solomyak, M.Z., Spektral’naya teoriya samosopryazhennykh operatorov v gil’bertovom prostranstve (Spectral Theory of Self-Adjoint Operators in a Hilbert Space), Leningrad: Leningrad State Univ., 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Oleinik, O.A. and Radkevich, E.V., Second order equations with nonnegative characteristic form, Itogi Nauki Ser. Mat. Mat. Anal., Moscow: VINITI, 1969, pp. 7–252.Google Scholar
- 4.Sadovnichii, V.A., Teoriya operatorov (Theory of Operators), Moscow: Drofa, 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Dobrokhotov, S.Yu. and Zhevandrov, P.N., Asymptotic expansions and the Maslov canonical operator in the linear theory of surface gravitational waves: Cauchy-Poisson problem and trapped waves, Preprint No. 329, IPM AN SSSR (Institute for Problems in Mechanics, USSR Acad. Sci., Moscow, 1988).Google Scholar
- 13.Dobrokhotov, S.Yu., Zhevandrov, P.N., and Simonov, K.V., Stokes waves in closed basins, in Teoreti-cheskie i eksperimental’nye issledovaniya dlinnovolnovykh protsessov (Theoretical and Experimental Studies of Long Wave Processes), Vladivostok: Far East. Branch, USSR Acad. Sci., 1985, pp. 13–19.Google Scholar
- 16.Dobrokhotov, S.Yu. and Nazaikinskii, V.E., Nonstandard Lagrangian singularities and asymptotic eigenfunctions of a degenerate operator, Tr. Mat. Inst. Steklova, vol. 306, Steklov Math. Inst. RAS, Moscow, 2019, pp. 45–63.Google Scholar
- 19.Fock, V.A., On canonical transformation in classical and quantum mechanics, Vestn. Leningrad. Gos. Univ. Ser. Mat. Mekh. Astron., 1959, vol. 16, pp. 67–70.Google Scholar
- 20.Dobrokhotov, S.Yu. and Zhevandrov, P.N., Nonstandard characteristics and the Maslov operator method in linear problems on unsteady waves on water, Funkts. Anal. Prilozh., 1985, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 43–54.Google Scholar