The Nontransitivity Problem for Three Continuous Random Variables
- 5 Downloads
The nontransitivity problem of the stochastic precedence relation for three independent random variables with distributions from a given class of continuous distributions is studied. Originally, this issue was formulated in one problem of strength theory. In recent time, nontransitivity has become a popular topic of research for the so-called nontransitive dice. Some criteria are first developed and then applied for proving that nontransitivity may not hold for many classical continuous distributions (uniform, exponential, Gaussian, logistic, Laplace, Cauchy, Simpson, one-parameter Weibull and others). The case of all distributions with a polynomial density on the unit interval is considered separately. Some promising directions of further investigations on the subject are outlined.
Keywordsnontransitivity nontransitive dice stochastic precedence continuous distributions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Bogdanov, I.I., Nontransitive Roulette, Mat. Prosveshch., 2010, vol. 3, no. 14, pp. 240–255.Google Scholar
- 6.Podd'yakov, A.N., Nontransitivity of Dominance Relations and Decision-Making, Psikhol. Zh. Vyssh. Shkol. Ekon., 2006, no. 3, pp. 88–111.Google Scholar
- 7.Permogorskii, M.S. and Podd'yakov, A.N., Dominance Relation between Objects and the Nontransitivity of Human Preference for Them, Vopr. Psikhol., 2014, no. 2, pp. 3–14.Google Scholar
- 8.Podd'yakov, A.N., Nontrasitivity—A Mine for Inventors, Troitskii Variant, 2017, no. 242.Google Scholar
- 12.Gorokhovik, V.V. and Trofimovich, M.A., First- and Second-Order Optimality Conditions for Vector Optimization Problems with a Nontransitive Preference Relation, Tr. Inst. Mat. Mekh. Ur. Otd. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2014, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 81–96.Google Scholar
- 19.Sekei, G., Paradoksy v teorii veroyatnostei i matematicheskoi statistike (Paradoxes in Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics), Moscow: Inst. Komp. Issled., 2003.Google Scholar
- 26.Weibull, W., A Statistical Theory of the Strength of Materials, Stockholm: Generalstabens Litografiska Anstalts Förlag, 1939.Google Scholar
- 27.Bulinskaya, E.V., Teoriya riska i perestrakhovanie (Theory of Risk and Reinsurance), Moscow: OOO Meiler, 2008.Google Scholar