Estimation of Mean, Ratio and Product Using Auxiliary Information in the Presence of Measurement Errors in Sample Surveys
For estimating the mean, ratio and product we have considered the estimation of general parameter R(α)(= μY0/μY 1(α),μY1 ≠ 0) using the information on an auxiliary variable X whose population mean μX is assumed to be known, in the presence of measurement errors, where μY0 and μY1 are the population means of the study variables Y0 and Y1 respectively; α being a scalar takes values,1 (for population ratio R = μY0/μY1), −1 (for population product P = μY0μY1), and 0 (for population mean μY0). A class of estimators for estimating the general parameter R(α) has been defined and asymptotic expressions for its bias and mean squared error (MSE) have been obtained. A comparative study has been made among the proposed estimators and the conventional estimators Numerical illustration is given in support of the present study.
AMS Subject Classification62D05
KeywordsStudy variate Auxiliary variate Measurement errors Bias and Mean squared error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bailer, B.A., 1967. The effect of varying the size of the interviewer’s assignment area on ρd, the interclass correlation between response deviations of different units assigned to the same interviewer. Unpublished article, Center for Research in Measurement Methods, U.S Bureau of the census, September 28.Google Scholar
- Biermer, P.P., Groves, R.M., Lyberg, L.E., Mathiowetz, N.A., Sudman, S., 1991. Measurement Errors in Surveys. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Chandhok, P.K., 1982. A study of the effects of measurement errors in survey sampling. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.Google Scholar
- Hansen, M.H., Hurwitz, W.N., Madow, W.G., 1953. Sample Survey Methods and Theory, Vol. I and II. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Hansen, M.H., Hurwitz, W.N., Bershad, M.A., 1961. Measurement errors in census and surveys. Bulletin of the International Statistical Institute, 38, Part II, 359–374.Google Scholar
- Koyuncu, N., Kadilar, C., 2009. Ratio and product estimators in stratified random sampling. J. Statist. Plann. Inference, doi: 10.1016/j.jspi.2008.11.009.Google Scholar
- Murthy, M.N., 1964. Product method of estimation. Sankhyā A, (26), 69–74.Google Scholar
- Shalabh, 1997. Ratio method of estimation in the presence of measurement errors. Jour. Ind. Soc. Agri. Statist., 52, 150–155.Google Scholar