Kernel Regression Estimators for Nonparametric Model Calibration in Survey Sampling
This paper introduces new kernel regression estimators with strictly non-negative smoothing weights that are iteratively adjusted. One estimator shares the “optimal” asymptotic bias and variance of the local linear regressor. Other estimators have zero sum of residuals, a desirable property in many applications. In a survey sampling context these estimators can easily be adjusted so that they are internally bias calibrated, which is a property with intuitive appeal. We demonstrate in simulations that one of the estimators with zero sum residuals has bias and variance properties that are very close to “optimal”. In addition, we propose a potentially useful refinement to the usual orders of asymptotic approximations for bias and variance of kernel regression smoothers. The smoothers are illustrated using two examples from fisheries applications, one of which involves data from a stratified random bottom-trawl survey.
AMS Subject Classification62G08 62G20
KeywordsKernel smoothing Residuals Nonparametric regression Nadaraya-Watson estimator Mack-Müller estimator Local linear estimator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dwyer, K.S., Morgan, M.J., Maddock Parsons, D., Brodie, W.B., Healey, B.P., 2007. An assessment of American plaice in NAFO Div. 3LNO., NAFO SCR Doc. 07/56, Serial No. N5408.Google Scholar
- Fuller, W.A., 2002. Regression Estimation for Survey Samples. Surv. Method., 28, 5–23.Google Scholar
- Gunderson, D.R., 1993. Surveys of Fisheries Resources. John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Quinn, T.J., Deriso, R.B., 1999. Quantitative Fish Dynamics. Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Rodríguez, J.G., Salas, R., 2005. A probabilistic nonparametric estimator. Papeles de Trabajo, No. 2/05. Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.Google Scholar
- Shelton, P.A., Rice, J.C., 2002. Limits to overfishing: reference points in the context of the Canadian perspective on the precautionary approach, DFO Can. Sci. Adv. Sec. Res. Doc. 2002/084. Available at: http://www.dfompo.gc.ca/csas/Csas/DocREC/2002/RES2002_084e.pdf. [accessed April 2009].Google Scholar