First report ofAlternaria blight ofPaulownia spp.
- 71 Downloads
A severe disease was observed in Western Australian plantations ofPaulownia fortunei in October 2001. Symptoms included black and light brown leaf lesions, and sunken cankers on petioles, branches and trunks of many trees.Alternaria spp. were isolated from 100% of all diseased tissues. Sequence data from the ribosomal ITS operon placed all isolates within theA. alternata complex. This is the first report ofAlternaria blight of Paulownia spp.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bassett S (1998) ‘Paulownia a commercial overview.’ (Rural Industry Business Services, Department of Primary Industries: Queensland)Google Scholar
- Hiruki C (1999) Paulownia witches’ — broom disease important in East Asia. Acta Horticulture 469, 63–68.Google Scholar
- Lyons A (1993) Paulownia. In ‘Agroforestry, trees for productive farming’. (Ed. D Race) pp. 149–154. (Agmedia: Victoria)Google Scholar
- Mehrotra MD (1997) Diseases of Paulownia and their management. Indian Forester 123, 66–72.Google Scholar
- Mehrotra MD, Mehrotra A (2000) Butt and root rot — a threat to Paulownia at New Forest. Indian Journal of Forestry 23, 220.Google Scholar
- Misra BM, Khan SN, Singh YP (2001) Heteroporus root-rot of Paulownia Fortunei. Indian Forester 127, 1043–1046.Google Scholar
- Phillips DH. Burdekin DA (1992) ‘Diseases of forest and ornamantal trees.’ (Macmillan Press LTD: Hong Kong)Google Scholar
- Simmons EG (1992) Alternaria taxonomy: current status, viewpoint, challenge. In ‘Alternaria biology, plant diseases and metabolites’. (Eds J Chelkowski, A Visconti) pp. 1–36. (Elsevier: Amsterdam)Google Scholar
- Simmons EG, Roberts RG (1993) Alternaria themes and variations (73). Mycotaxon 48, 109–140.Google Scholar
- Watanabe T, de Shinoda RNB, Ramirez ME (1987) Fungi isolated from declining paulownia trees in Paraguay and Argentina. Transactions of the Mycological Society of Japan 28, 453–168.Google Scholar
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phy loge ne tics. In ‘PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications’. (Eds MA Innes, DH Gelfand, JJ Sninsky, TJ White) pp. 315–322. (Academic Press: San Diego)Google Scholar
- Zhu ZH, Chao CJ, Lu XY, Xiong YG (1986) ‘Paulownia in China: cultivation and utilization.’ (Asian Network for Biological Sciences and International Development Research Center: Beijing)Google Scholar