International dimensions of electoral processes: Russia, the USA, and the 2016 elections
- 63 Downloads
Russia’s government has adopted an information-based strategy to promote discord and call into question the legitimacy of democratic institutions in the USA and Western Europe. Measures adopted include providing financial support to extremist groups, conducting cyberattacks, hacking information on political parties and government agencies, and promoting a socially conservative ideology critiquing Western liberal values. This strategy resembles Soviet-era disinformation campaigns, though social media and the Internet have magnified the impact of contemporary information warfare. The article examines specific measures Russia has implemented to put liberal democracy on the defensive, and assesses how these actions impact domestic political processes in the USA, by using a conceptual framework of democratic erosion and democratic breakdown. The article evaluates motivations behind Russian interference in America’s 2016 elections, and the extent to which these efforts weaken liberal democracy and advance Russian national interests.
KeywordsRussia Elections USA Democratic erosion Cyber Information
Thanks go to Vidya Nadkarni and Tony Spanakos for their helpful comments on earlier drafts.
- Agrawal, Nina. 2016. The U.S. is No Stranger to Interfering in the Elections of Other Countries. Los Angeles Times 21. December, at http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-us-intervention-foreign-elections-20161213-story.html.
- Ambrosio, T. 2009. Authoritarian Backlash: Russian Resistance to Democratization in the Former Soviet Union. Ashgate): Burlington, VT.Google Scholar
- Assessing Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections. 2017. Intelligence Community Assessment (6 January), at https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3254229-ICA-2017-01.html#document/p2.
- Bermeo, Nancy. 2003. Ordinary People in Extraordinary Times: The Citizenry and the Breakdown of Democracy. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Carothers, Thomas. 2010. The Continuing Backlash Against Democracy Promotion. In New Challenges to Democratization, ed. Peter Burnell and Richard Youngs. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Carothers, T., and S. Brechenmacher. 2014. Closing Space: Democracy and Human Rights Support Under Fire. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, at http://carnegieendowment.org/files/closing_space.pdf.
- Cheibub, Jose Antonio. 2007. Presidentialism, Parliamentarism, and Democracy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Clayton, Mark. 2014. Ukraine Election Narrowly Avoided “Wanton Destruction” from Hackers. Christian Science Monitor, 17 June, at https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Passcode/2014/0617/Ukraine-election-narrowly-avoided-wanton-destruction-from-hackers.
- Colgan, Jeff D., and Robert O. Keohane. 2017. The Liberal Order is Rigged. Foreign Affairs 96(3): 36–44.Google Scholar
- Cornwell, Susan. 2012. U.S. Pro-Democracy Groups Pulling Out of Russia. Reuters, 14 December, at http://www.reuters.com/article/russia-usa-democracy-idUSL1E8NE7FF20121214.
- Dahl, Robert. 1971. Polyarchy: Participation and Opposition. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Democracy Index. 2016. Revenge of the ‘Deplorables’. Economist Intelligence Unit, at http://www.eiu.com/Handlers/WhitepaperHandler.ashx?fi=Democracy-Index-2016.pdf&mode=wp&campaignid=DemocracyIndex2016.
- Friedman, Uri. 2017. What is a Populist? The Atlantic, 27 February, at https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/02/what-is-populist-trump/516525/.
- Gainous, Jason, Kevin Wagner, and Charles E. Ziegler. 2017. Digital Media and Political Opposition in Authoritarian Systems: Russia’s 2011 and 2016 Duma Elections. Democratization. doi: 10.1080/13510347.2017.1315566.
- Galeotti, Mark. 2017. Will the Populist Wave Wash Away NATO and the European Union? NATO Review, at http://www.nato.int/docu/Review/2017/Also-in-2017/will-populist-wave-wash-nato-european-union/EN/index.htm.
- Gerasimov, Valerii. 2013. ‘Tsennost’ nauki v predvidenii. Voenno-promyshlennyi kur’er 8(476), 27 February, at http://vpk-news.ru/articles/14632.
- Gerasimov, Valerii. 2016. Po opytu Sirii. Voenno-promyshlennyi kur’er 9(9 March), at http://vpk-news.ru/articles/29579.
- Gerden, Eugene. 2015. “Research Squadrons” to Raise IT Capability of Russian Army. SCMagazineUK, 9 December, at https://www.scmagazineuk.com/research-squadrons-to-raise-it-capability-of-russian-army/article/535580/.
- Glasser, Susan B. 2013. “The Law of Politics” According to Sergei Lavrov. Foreign Policy, 29 April, at http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/04/29/the-law-of-politics-according-to-sergei-lavrov/.
- Greenberg, Andy. 2017a. The NSA Confirms It: Russia Hacked French Election “Infrastructure”. Wired, 9 May, at https://www.wired.com/2017/05/nsa-director-confirms-russia-hacked-french-election-infrastructure/.
- Greenberg, Andy. 2017b. How an Entire Nation Became Russia’s Test Lab for Cyberwar. Wired, 20 June, at https://www.wired.com/story/russian-hackers-attack-ukraine/.
- Harding, Luke. 2016 Putin Press Conference: Don’t Blame Me for Democrats’ Election Loss—as It Happened. The Guardian, 23 December, at https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/dec/23/vladimir-putins-annual-press-conference-live-updates?page=with%3Ablock-585d0e64e4b0966513aed03e.
- Hollis, David. 2011. Cyberwar Case Study: Georgia 2008. Small Wars Journal, 6 January, at Smallwarsjournal.com.Google Scholar
- Hunter, James Davison, and Carl Desportes Bowman. 2016. The Vanishing Center of American Democracy. Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture, University of Virginia, at http://www.iasc-culture.org/survey_archives/VanishingCenter.pdf.
- Inglehart, Ronald F., and Pippa Norris. 2016. Trump, Brexit and the Rise of Populism: Economic Have-Nots and Cultural Backlash. Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Research Working Paper, August. https://faculty.uml.edu/sgallagher/Trump_Populism_Norris.pdf.
- Kak Rossiiu obviniali vo vmeshatel’stve v amerikanskie vybory. 2017. TASS, 8 June, at http://tass.ru/info/4324773.
- Kramer, Michael. 1996. Rescuing Boris. Time (15 July), at http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,984833,00.html.
- Kramer, Andrew E. 2016. How the Kremlin Recruited an Army of Specialists for Cyberwar. New York Times, 30 December, pp. 1, 12.Google Scholar
- Krastev, Ivan. 2015. The Imitation Game: Russia and the West. In: Pierre du Bois Annual Lecture, 12 November, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cy3D9p_8iQ.
- Kurlantzick, Joshua. 2013. Democracy in Retreat: The Revolt of the Middle Class and the Worldwide Decline of Representative Government. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Linz, Juan. 1990. The Perils of Presidentialism. Journal of Democracy 1(1): 51–69.Google Scholar
- Linz, Juan J. 1978. Elements of Breakdown. In The Breakdown of Democratic Regimes, ed. Juan J. Linz and Alfred Stepan. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Linz, Juan J. and Alfred Stepan (eds.). 1978. The Breakdown of Democratic Regimes. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Lipton, Eric, David E. Sanger, and Scott Shane. 2016. The Perfect Weapon: How Russian Cyberpower Invaded the U.S. New York Times, 13 December. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html?.
- Lukyanov, Fyodor. 2017. Don’t Hold Your Breath for a Deal Between Russia and the U.S. Russia in Global Affairs, 6 March, at http://eng.globalaffairs.ru/redcol/Dont-hold-your-breath-for-a-deal-between-Russia-and-the-US-18620.
- Markoff, John. 2008. Before the Gunfire, Cyberattacks. New York Times, 12 August, at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/technology/13cyber.html.
- McDermott, Roger M. 2016. Does Russia have a Gerasimov Doctrine?’ Parameters 46(1), Spring, 97–105.Google Scholar
- McFaul, Michael. 1997. Russia’s 1996 Presidential Election: The End of Polarized Politics. Stanford, CA: Hoover Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Osnos, Evan, David Remnick, and Joshua Yaffa. 2017. Active Measures. The New Yorker, 6 March.Google Scholar
- Pager, Tyler, and Nick Gass. 2016. Russia brands McCain-chaired NGO as “undesirable”. Politico, 18 August, at http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/international-republican-institute-russia-undesirable-227150.
- Persily, Nathaniel, and Jon Cohen. 2016. Americans are losing faith in democracy—and in each other. Washington Post, 14 October, at https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/americans-are-losing-faith-in-democracy–and-in-each-other/2016/10/14/b35234ea-90c6-11e6-9c52-0b10449e33c4_story.html?utm_term=.626895b8e32f.
- Public Trust in Government Remains Near Historic Lows as Partisan Attitudes Shift. 2017. Pew Research Center, 3 May, at http://www.people-press.org/2017/05/03/public-trust-in-government-remains-near-historic-lows-as-partisan-attitudes-shift/.
- Putin: Klinton dala signal k besporiadkam. Pravda, 8 December, at https://www.pravda.ru/news/world/08-12-2011/1101474-klinton-0/.
- Rossiiskii MID otvetil na kritiku Klinton. 2011. Pravda, 7 December, at https://www.pravda.ru/news/world/07-12-2011/1101281-klinton-0/.
- Sakwa, Richard. 2014. Whatever Happened to the Russian Opposition? Chatham House: Russian and Eurasian Programme Research Paper, May, at https://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/files/chathamhouse/field/field_document/20140523SakwaFinal.pdf.
- Schedler, Andreas. 2006. The Logic of Electoral Authoritarianism. In Electoral Authoritarianism: The Dynamics of Unfree Competition, ed. Andreas Schedler. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Schwirtz, Michael. 2017. German Election Mystery: Why No Russian Meddling? New York Times, 21 September, at https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/world/europe/german-election-russia.html.
- Sharma, Dinesh. 2017. The Global Hillary: Women’s Political Leadership in Cultural Contexts. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Spil’kin, Sergei. 2011. Statistiki issledovala vybory. Gazeta.ru, 10 December, at https://www.gazeta.ru/science/2011/12/10_a_3922390.shtml.
- Sputnik. 2016. Russian Prosecutor Lists McCain's Int'l Republican Institute as undesirable. 18 August. https://sputniknews.com/russia/201608181044387074-russia-mccain-institute/.
- Stanley, Alessandra. 1996. Moscow Journal: The Americans Who Saved Yeltsin (Or Did They?). New York Times (9 July), at http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/09/world/moscow-journal-the-americans-who-saved-yeltsin-or-did-they.html.
- Surkov, V. 2006. Suverenitet—eto politicheskii sinonim konkurentosposobnosti. Speech to United Russia, Moscow, 7 February, at http://www.rosbalt.ru/main/2006/03/09/246302.html. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Surkov, V. 2008. Russian Political Culture: The View from Utopia. Russian Social Science Review 49(6): 81–97.Google Scholar
- Tharoor, Ishaan. 2016. Putin ally celebrates winning 98 percent of vote in a full suit of medieval armor. Washington Post, 19 September, at https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/19/putin-ally-celebrates-winning-98-percent-of-vote-in-a-full-suit-of-medieval-armor/?utm_term=.58b2f2dbbffa.
- Turovskii, Daniil. 2016. Rossiskie vooruzhennye kibersily: kak gosudarstvo sozdaet voennye otriady khakerov. Meduza, 7 November, at https://meduza.io/feature/2016/11/07/rossiyskie-vooruzhennye-kibersily.
- Vanderhill, R. 2013. Promoting Authoritarianism Abroad. Boulder: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Zinets, Natalia. 2016. Ukraine hit by 6,500 cyber attacks, sees Russian “cyberwar.” Reuters, 29 December, at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-cyber-idUSKBN14I1QC.