From the European Security Strategy to the EU Global Strategy: explaining the journey
- 638 Downloads
What should be the European Union’s role in international politics? How should the EU deal with the challenges posed by instability, terrorism, radicalisation and conflict to the South and the East? Can the EU’s commitment to democratisation, human rights and international law be upheld or does it require rethinking and reorientation? The European Council tasked the EU High Representative and Vice President of the European Commission, Federica Mogherini, to address these questions in a Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy (EUGS). This article unpacks the EU’s journey towards a comprehensive foreign and security strategy—the EUGS. It does so by comparing the elements and main messages of the 2003 the European Security Strategy, under the leadership of Javier Solana, EU High Representative at the time, with HRVP Mogherini’s EU Global Strategy 13 years later, of which the author was the lead pen-holder.
KeywordsEU Global Strategy European Security Strategy EU foreign policy EU institutions Security and defence Resilience
- Amsden, Alice. 2001. The rse of the “rest”. Challenges to the west of late-industrializing economies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Biscop, Sven. 2016. The EU Global Strategy: Realpolitik with European characteristics. 29 June, Security Policy Briefs, Egmont Institute, Brussels. http://www.egmontinstitute.be/publication_article/eu-global-strategy/.
- EUHR. 2003. A secure Europe in a better world. European Security Strategy. December. http://www.iss.europa.eu/publications/detail/article/a-secure-europe-in-a-better-world-european-security-strategy/.
- EU HR/VP. 2015. The European Union in a changing global environment. A more connected, contested and complex world. June. https://eeas.europa.eu/docs/strategic_review/eu-strategic-review_strategic_review_en.pdf.
- EU HR/VP. 2016. Shared vision, common action: A stronger Europe. A Global Strategy for the EU’s Foreign and Security Policy. June. https://europa.eu/globalstrategy/sites/globalstrategy/files/eugs_review_web.pdf.
- European Parliament. 2016. On the EU in a changing global environment—A more connected, contested and complex world. Motion for a resolution. April. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=REPORT&reference=A8-2016-0069&language=EN.
- Fukuyama, Francis. 1992. The end of history and the last man. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Herd, Graeme P. 2010. Great powers and strategic stability in the twenty-first century: Competing vsions of world order. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Missiroli, Antonio. 2016. Towards an EU Global Strategy: Consulting the experts. April, EUISS. http://www.iss.europa.eu/publications/detail/article/towards-an-eu-global-strategy-consulting-the-experts/.
- Pew. 2016. Europeans face the world divided. June. file:///C:/Users/Tocci/Downloads/Pew-Research-Center-EPW-Report-FINAL-June-13-2016.pdf.Google Scholar
- Spiegel Online. 2010. From lisbon to Vladivostok’: Putin envisions a Russia-EU free Trade zone. 25 November. http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/from-lisbon-to-vladivostok-putin-envisions-a-russia-eu-free-trade-zone-a-731109.html.
- Telò, Mario (ed.). 2014. European Union and new regionalism. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- The Economist. 2015. Europe’s ring of fire. 20 September. http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21618846-european-unions-neighbourhood-more-troubled-ever-europes-ring-fire.
- Zakaria, Fareed. 2008. The post-American world. New York: W.W. Norton & Company.Google Scholar