Constructing the CEO Personal Brand: The Case of Four Pioneering CEOs in Turkey
CEOs are high-profile figureheads who have a critical role in their organization. Because of their high impact on firm performance and brands, stakeholders and the public follow them. The main purpose of this study is to explore pioneering Turk CEOs’ construction of the CEO brand. The study focuses on the determinants and process of CEO branding and relies on content analysis of four CEOs’ biographies using purposeful sampling. The comparative case study method was conducted using a grounded approach. As a result of the study, CEOs’ career background, leadership in change, impression management, and firm brand became the determinants for the CEO brand building process. In this process, career background provides an advantage to leadership in change, and impression management mediates the relationship between leadership in change (performance) and CEO branding.
KeywordsPersonal branding CEO brand CEO brand building Grounded theory
- Aaker, D.A. 1996. Building strong brands. New York, NY: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Alizadeh, A., A. Moshabaki, S. Hoseini, and A.K. Naiej. 2014a. The comparison of product and corporate branding strategy: A conceptual framework. Journal of Business and Management 16 (1): 14–24.Google Scholar
- Arruda, W. 2004. Brand connection. Executive Excellence 21: 4.Google Scholar
- Bates, S. 2012. Discover your CEO brand: Secrets to embracing and maximizing your unique value as a leader. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Education.Google Scholar
- Benezra, K., and J. Gilbert. 2002. The CEO as brand. Chief Executive 174: 22–26.Google Scholar
- Canbay, B. 2015. Edebiyatta Pazarlama ve Kişisel Markalaşma [Marketing in the literature and personal branding]. İletişim Kuram ve Araştırma Dergisi, 1 (40).Google Scholar
- Chakrabarti, D. 2014. Awareness and importance of ‘personal branding’ phenomenon among post-graduate management students: An empirical enquiry. International Journal of Research and Development in Technology and Management Science 21 (4): 88–101.Google Scholar
- Creswell, J.W. 2007. Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.Google Scholar
- Erdoğmuş, N. 2015, December 10–12. Bundling career capital with the skill of “dancing to the chairman’s tune” in intertwined governance structure: Career construction of pioneering CEOs in Turkey. Paper presented at the 5th International Conference on Leadership, Technology, Innovation, and Business Management. Yıldız Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey.Google Scholar
- Fetscherin, M., ed. 2015b. The 4 Ps of CEO Branding. In CEO Branding: Theory and Practice, 1–17. London, UK: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Goffman, E. 2002. The presentation of self in everyday life. Originally published in 1956. New York, NY: Anchor Publishing.Google Scholar
- Kantarcı, H. 2013. CEO Kantarcı. Istanbul: Ofset yayıncılık.Google Scholar
- Kantarcı, H. 2016. August. CEO club [Interview]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Baxf9zAZs.
- Karaçam, B. 2012. Orası yapı kredi, fark oradaydı [There is Yapı Kredi, the difference was in there]. Istanbul, Turkey: Yapı Kredi Yayınları.Google Scholar
- Karaçam, B. 2016. August. Success story [video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de40MROD6YA.
- Lincoln, Y.S., and E.G. Guba. 1985. Naturalistic inquiry, vol. 75. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Miles, M.B., and A.M. Huberman. 1994. Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Montoya, P. 2002. The brand called you: The ultimate brand building and business development. Nashville, CA: Personal Branding.Google Scholar
- Montoya, P., and T. Vandehey. 2002. The personal branding phenomenon: Realize greater influence, explosive income growth and rapid career advancement by applying the branding techniques of Michael, Martha, & Oprah. Corona del Mar, CA: Author.Google Scholar
- Montoya, P., and T. Vandehey. 2008. The brand called you: Create a personal brand that wins attention and grows your business. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Morgan, M. 2011. Personal branding: Create your value proposition. Strategic Finance 93 (2): 13–14.Google Scholar
- O’Shannassy, T. 2010. Board and CEO practice in modern strategy-making: How is strategy developed, who is the boss and in what circumstances? Journal of Management & Organization 16 (2): 280–298.Google Scholar
- Öngör, A. 2011. Benden sonra devam [Continuation after me]. Istanbul: Alametifarika yayınları.Google Scholar
- Peters, T. 1997. The brand called you. Fast Company 10 (10): 83–87.Google Scholar
- Sorensen, L.B. 2011. Corporate brand strength: Building a strong corporate vision and image through the corporate executive brand (Unpublished master’s thesis). Copenhagen Business School, Frederiksberg, Denmark. Retrieved from http://studenttheses.cbs.dk/bitstream/handle/10417/2938/lisa_benn_soerensen.pdf?sequence=1.
- Strauss, A., and J. Corbin. 1998. Basics of qualitative research: Procedures and techniques for developing grounded theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Trout, J., & Ries, A. 1982. Positioning: The battle for your mind [Radio broadcast from Replay Radio, Radio New Zealand].Google Scholar
- Vural, F. 2013. Geriye bakma yok- Bir Can Paker kitabı [There’s nothing looking back- A Can Paker book]. Istanbul, Turkey: Alfa Yayınları.Google Scholar
- Yin, R.K. 2003. Case study research: Design and methods (3rd ed.). In Applied social research methods series (Vol. 5). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar