Fixing the Climate? How Geoengineering Threatens to Undermine the SDGs and Climate Justice
Geoengineering—large-scale technological interventions in the Earth’s natural processes and ecosystems promoted to counteract some of the symptoms of climate change—threaten to undermine the achievement of SDGs and climate justice. Both Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Management schemes are bound to exacerbate concomitant socio-ecological and socio-economic global crises, deepen societal dependence on technocratic elites and large-scale technological systems and create new spaces for profit and power for new and old economic elites.
KeywordsCarbon Dioxide Removal Solar Radiation Management Climate change Agenda 2030 Ecosystems
- Boettcher, Miranda, and Stefan Schäfer. 2017. Reflecting upon 10 years of geoengineering research: Introduction to the Crutzen + 10 special issue. Earth’s Future 5(3): 226–277.Google Scholar
- Center for International Environmental Law. 2019. Fuel to the fire: How geoengineering threatens to entrench fossil fuels and accelerate the climate crisis, Washington/Berlin. Online at: https://www.ciel.org/news/fuel-to-the-fire-how-geoengineering-threatens-to-entrench-fossil-fuels-and-accelerate-the-climate-crisis/. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- EASAC (European Academies Science Advisory Council). 2018. Negative emissions technologies: What role in meeting Paris Agreement targets? EASAC policy report 35. Online at: https://easac.eu/fileadmin/PDF_s/reports_statements/Negative_Carbon/EASAC_Report_on_Negative_Emission_Technologies.pdf. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- ETC Group, Biofuelwatch, Heinrich Boell Foundation. 2017. The Big Bad Fix. The case against climate geoengineering. Online at: https://www.boell.de/en/2017/12/01/big-bad-fix-case-against-geoengineering. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- Fleming, James Rodger. 2010. Fixing the sky: The checkered history of weather and climate control. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- GeoengineeringMonitor. 2018. Bio-energy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS). Technology factsheet, http://www.geoengineeringmonitor.org/2018/05/bio-energy-with-carbon-capture-and-storage-beccs/. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- Hamilton, Clive. 2013. Earthmasters: The dawn of the age of climate engineering. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- International Maritime Organization. 2019. Marine geoengineering. Online at: http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Environment/LCLP/EmergingIssues/geoengineering/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- Jones, Andy, Jim M. Haywood, Kari Alterskjær, Olivier Boucher, Jason N.S. Cole, et al. 2013. The impact of abrupt suspension of solar radiation management (termination effect) in experiment G2 of the Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project (GeoMIP). Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 118(17): 9743–9752.Google Scholar
- Kartha, Sivan and Kate Dooley. 2016. The risks of relying on tomorrow’s ‘negative emissions’ to guide today’s mitigation action, Stockholm Environment Institute, SEI Working Paper No. 2016-08.Google Scholar
- Moreno, Camila, Daniel Speich Chassé and Lili Fuhr. 2016. Carbon metrics. Global abstractions and ecological epistemicide, Berlin: Heinrich Böll Foundation. Online at: https://www.boell.de/en/2015/11/09/carbon-metrics. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- Popp, Alexander, Jan Philipp Dietrich, Hermann Lotze-Campen, David Klein, Nico Bauer, Michael Krause, Tim Beringer, Dieter Gerten, and Ottmar Edenhofer. 2011. The economic potential of bioenergy for climate change mitigation with special attention given to implications for the land system. Environmental Research Letters 6(3): 34–44.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shell. 2016. A better life with a healthy planet. Pathways to net-zero emissions. Online at: https://www.shell.com/energy-and-innovation/the-energy-future/scenarios/a-better-life-with-a-healthy-planet.html. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- Shell. 2018. Sky. Meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement. Online at: https://www.shell.com/promos/meeting-the-goals-of-the-paris-agreement/_jcr_content.stream/1530643931055/eca19f7fc0d20adbe830d3b0b27bcc9ef72198f5/shell-scenario-sky.pdf. Accessed 26 Sep 2019.
- UN. 2015. Sustainable Development Goals. 17 Goals to transform our world. Online at: http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/.