Development Justice in the Digital Paradigm: Agenda 2030 and Beyond
- 43 Downloads
Digital and data technologies are not merely tools or enablers of development; they are the scaffolds of a new social paradigm. As data flows through a more and more interconnected planet, the capture of network-data spaces by corporate and state interest recasts opportunity structures, heightening inequalities between, and within, countries. The intertwining of technological architectures and socio-economic structures presents key concerns for a transformative vision of development for people and planet alike. This article examines why and how norms and rules at global, national and local levels need to be overhauled towards a development justice that protects and promotes economic justice, redistributive justice, social justice, environmental justice and institutional accountability.
KeywordsDevelopment justice Agenda 2030 Digital technologies SDGs Data and development
- Anderson, Janna and Lee Rainie. 2017. The future of truth and misinformation online. http://www.pewinternet.org/2017/10/19/the-future-of-truth-and-misinformation-online/. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Andrews, Roger. 2017. Apple, Google and how not to go 100% renewable. http://euanmearns.com/apple-google-and-how-not-to-go-100-renewable/. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Angwin, Julia. 2016. Facebook says it will stop allowing some advertisers to exclude users by race. https://www.propublica.org/article/facebook-to-stop-allowing-some-advertisers-to-exclude-users-by-race. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- APWLD. 2013. Bangkok civil society declaration: From inclusive to just development. http://apwld.org/bangkok-civil-society-declaration-from-inclusive-to-just-development/. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Belli, Luca. 2017. The scramble for data and the need for network self-determination. https://www.opendemocracy.net/luca-belli/scramble-for-data-and-need-for-network-self-determination. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Benkler, Yochai. 2016. What the World Bank report on tech-related income inequality is missing. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/15/world-bank-income-inequality-report-silicon-valley. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Broadband Commission. 2016. The state of broadband: Broadband catalyzing sustainable development. http://www.broadbandcommission.org/Documents/reports/bb-annualreport2016.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Clinton, Lindsay. 2014. Online commerce: Cutting energy and resource use—But at what cost? https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/sep/03/online-commerce-store-amazon-zappos-grocery-delivery-usps-carbon-emissions. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Cohen, Julie. 2017. Law for the platform economy. (22 June 22). UC Davis Law Review, Forthcoming. https://ssrn.com/abstract=2991261.
- CSO Partnership for Development Effectiveness. 2017. Policy research on the implementation of a human rights based approach in development partnerships. Philippines: Global Secretariat IBON Center, http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/9f29ee_4c146e50128e472a81d0610cd2717cf1.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Dissenting statement of Brazil. 2017. Annex 4.2—Jurisdiction subgroup-minority statement—CCWG-accountability WS2. https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ccwg-acct-ws2-annex-4-2-jurisdiction-minority-statement-27mar18-en.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Fiber Broadband Association. 2018. FCC: Mobile can’t replace fixed home Internet. https://medium.com/@fiberbroadband/fcc-mobile-cant-replace-fixed-home-internet-3b005bdfc7cd. Aaccessed 18 April 2018.
- Goldstein, Joshua. 2014. The Internet “Access Trap” in Developing Countries. https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2014/01/04/the-internet-access-trap-in-developing-countries/. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Graham, Mark, Isis Hjorth, and Villi Lehdonvrita. 2017. Digital labour and development: Impacts of global digital labour platforms and the gig economy on worker livelihoods, Transfer: European Review of Labour and Research 23(2):135–162. https://doi.org/10.1177/1024258916687250.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- GSMA. 2018. GSMA advances a comprehensive agenda on digital inclusion for women ahead of digital inclusion summit. https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/press-release/gsma-advances-comprehensive-agenda-digital-inclusion-women-ahead-g20-summit/. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Gurumurthy, Anita. forthcoming. New cartographies of the digital commons—Going by Feminist Wisdom. In A. Kumar and P. Jha (eds), Labouring Women, India: Orient Blackswan.Google Scholar
- Gurumurthy, Anita. 2018. Get off the big data partnership bandwagon. https://www.hindustantimes.com/opinion/get-off-the-big-data-partnership-bandwagon/story-DdSuKUrJW3OvxaUbUZ2j6N.html. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Gurumurthy, Anita (2015) Critique of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development. Unpublished Note.Google Scholar
- Gurumurthy, Anita. 2014. How can all forms of cooperation, namely North-South, South-South and Triangular Cooperation, as well as ICT for development, be utilized to achieve effective means of implementation for the post-2015 Development Agenda? https://papersmart.unmeetings.org/media2/3346215/unpga-event-anita-gurumurthy.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Gurumurthy, Anita and Nandini Chami. 2017. A feminist action framework on development and digital technologies, APC-201705-WRP-I-EN-DIGITAL-267. https://www.apc.org/sites/default/files/FeministActionFrameworkOnDevelopmentAndDigitalTechnologies.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Gurumurthy, Anita and Nandini Chami. 2016. Data: The new four-letter word for feminism. https://www.genderit.org/articles/data-new-four-letter-word-feminism. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Gurumurthy, Anita and Amrita Vasudevan. 2018. Snowden to Cambridge Analytica—Making the case for the social value of privacy. https://www.opendemocracy.net/anita-gurumurthy-amrita-vasudevan/snowden-to-cambridge-analytica-making-case-for-social-value-of-pri. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Hern, Alex. 2017. Bitcoin mining consumes more electricity than the whole of Ireland. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/27/bitcoin-mining-consumes-electricity-ireland. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Iansiti, Marco and Karim R. Lakhani. 2017. Managing our hub economy. https://hbr.org/2017/09/managing-our-hub-economy. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- ITU. 2017. ICT facts and figures 2017. https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Documents/facts/ICTFactsFigures2017.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Jain, Mayank. 2017. Fintech tracker: Your phone and FB account can help track your credit score. https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2017/01/28/fintech-tracker-your-phone-and-facebook-account-can-help-improve-your-credit-score. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- James, Deborah. 2017a. Twelve reasons to oppose rules on digital commerce in the WTO. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/twelve-reasons-to-oppose-rules-on-digital-commerce_us_5915db61e4b0bd90f8e6a48a. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- James, Deborah. 2017b. MSME associations reject MSMEs work program and E-commerce rules in WTO. http://ourworldisnotforsale.net/2017/R_MSMEs_reject.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Kende, Michael. 2016. Why is internet growth slowing down? https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/01/why-is-internet-growth-slowing-down/. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Kennedy, John. 2015. Illegal trade in toxic e-waste to rise sharply: Study. https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/7898-Illegal-trade-in-toxic-e-waste-to-rise-sharply-study-. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Maclean, Don, Ben Akoh and Bjonar Egede-Nissen. 2010. ICTs, sustainability and the green economy. Global Information Society Watch 2010—Focus on ICTs and Environmental Sustainability, https://www.giswatch.org/sites/default/files/gisw2010thematicictssustainability_en.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Mann, Laura. 2018. Left to other people’s devices? A Political Economy Perspective on the Big Data Revolution in Development and Change 49 (1): 3–36.Google Scholar
- Mobbs, Paul. 2010. Introduction., Global information society watch 2010—Focus on ICTs and environmental sustainability. https://giswatch.org/report-introduction/2010-icts-and-environmental-sustainability/introduction. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Morozov, Evgeny. 2018. Will tech giants move on from the internet, now we’ve all been harvested? https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/28/morozov-artificial-intelligence-data-technology-online. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Palminhas, Joao Carlos Correia. 2015. The degrowth of consumption as an economic strategy: Is sustainable development a fading adage? Dissertation submitted as partial requirement for the conferral of Master in Development Studies, Lisbon University Institute. https://repositorio.iscte-iul.pt/bitstream/10071/10879/1/Degrowth%20Consumption%20-%20Jo%C3%A3o%20palminhas%20-%20vers%C3%A3o%20completa.pdf.
- Purdy, Mark and Paul Daugherty. 2016. Why Artificial Intelligence is the future of growth, accenture. https://www.accenture.com/lv-en/_acnmedia/PDF-33/Accenture-Why-AI-is-the-Future-of-Growth.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Sassen, Saskia. 2016b. Economic cleansing: Failure dressed in fine clothes. Social Research, 83(3): Fall 2016:673–687. http://saskiasassen.com/PDFs/SS_EconomicCleansing.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Saxer, Mark. 2017a. The future of work in Asia: How can India create livelihoods in the digital age? New Delhi: Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung India Office. http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/indien/13226.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Saxer, Marc. 2017b. The Human Economy: The social democratic path to decent livelihoods and development in digital capitalism. New Delhi: Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung India. http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/indien/13561.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Scholz, Trebor. 2016. Platform cooperativism: Challenging the corporate sharing economy. New York: Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, http://www.rosalux-nyc.org/wp-content/files_mf/scholz_platformcoop_5.9.2016.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Singh, Parminder Jeet. 2017. Digital industrialisation in developing countries—A review of the business and policy landscape. London: Commonwealth Secretariat, http://www.itforchange.net/sites/default/files/1468/digital_industrialisation_in_developing_countries.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Singh, Parminder Jeet. 2014. A fork in the road to the future of Internet Governance: Examining the makings and implications of the Net Mundial initiative. Digital Debates: Cyfy Journal 2017. https://www.itforchange.net/sites/default/files/Digital-Debates-%20Parminder%20Jeet%20Singh.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Solon, Olivia. 2017. “It’s digital colonialism”: How Facebook’s free internet service has failed its users. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/27/facebook-free-basics-developing-markets. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Turner, Adair. 2017. Capitalism in an age of robots. http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/pdf/ADAIRS-FINAL.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- UN General Assembly. 2015. Transforming our world: The 2030 Agenda for sustainable development. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- UNCTAD. 2018. Digital trade and industrialization: Perspectives from the south. Colombo: UNCTAD. http://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/gdsecidc20180308_Key%20Messages%20of%20the%20Meeting.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Vaughan, Adam. 2015. How viral cat videos are warming the planet. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/25/server-data-centre-emissions-air-travel-web-google-facebook-greenhouse-gas. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- Web Foundation. 2017. Algorithmic accountability: Applying the concept to different country contexts. https://webfoundation.org/docs/2017/07/Algorithms_Report_WF.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2018.
- World Economic Forum. 2016. Country and regional trends from the NRI. http://reports.weforum.org/global-information-technology-report-2016/country-and-regional-trends-from-the-nri/. Accessed 18 April 2018.