Unraveling the Narratives of Adivasi Dispossession: A Case Study of Land Acquisition in Nagri Village, Jharkhand
This article reflects the field narratives about an episode of dispossession of the Adivasi (an indigenous community in India) conducted during a pilot study (2015) in a village called Nagri (Jharkhand, India). The case of Nagri offers a peculiar demonstration of arbitrary power inserted in a colonial law that continues to inform the Land Acquisition Act in postcolonial India, despite major amendments. The article discusses two broader questions. The first question is an inquiry into the ‘development model,’ which permeates certain forms of discursive power to emerge within legislation such as the Land Acquisition Act. This is demonstrated through understanding the violation of the ‘protective’ measures including Fifth Schedule Areas, which fundamentally ensures the rights of tribal communities in certain states including Jharkhand. The second part of the article investigates a specific case study of the Land Acquisition Act in the same area (Nagri). This case highlights a unique case of violation of the rights of the Adivasi. The core argument of the article emerges from the testimonies of the people, mostly women, who have been rendered landless and did not receive any compensation. The article presents a fundamental conflict that continues to persist with regard to innovative provisions such as ‘public purpose’ that had generated serious concerns about the Land Acquisition Act across India. The article also seeks to present in a limited manner the voice of people but it nonetheless underlines the apathy of the state toward the subaltern subjects in a democracy.
KeywordsAdivasi Land acquisition Development Law Discourse
- Bala, Madhu. 2006. The Economics and Politics of Resettlement in India. New Delhi: Pearson Education India.Google Scholar
- Bar Association, J. H. C. V. S. o. J. &. O. 2012. Indiankanoon.com. Available at: http://indiankanoon.org/doc/35604088. Accessed 9 Sep 2015.
- Baviskar, Amita. 1995. In the Belly of the River: Tribal Conflict over the Development of the Narmada Valley. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Chakravorty, Sanjoy. 2014. The Price of Land: Acquisition, Conflict and consequences. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Dias, Xavier. 2005. World Bank in Jharkhand: Accountability Mechanism and Indigenous People. Law, Environment and Development Journal 1: 75–79.Google Scholar
- Dungdung, Gladson. 2015. Intercontinental Cry. Available at: https://intercontinentalcry.org/india-is-the-judiciary-biased-against-adivasis/amp/. Accessed 15 Nov 2016.
- Escobar, Arturo. 1995. Encountering Development: The Making and Unmaking of Third World. New Jersey: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Fernandes, Walter, Shanti Chhetri, Sherry Joseph, and Satyen Lama. 2006. Development-Induced Displacement and Deprivation in West Bengal 1947–2000: A Quantitative and Qualitative Database on its Extent and Impact. Guwahati: North Eastern Social Research Centre (mimeo).Google Scholar
- Government of India. 2001. Nagri Population—Ranchi, Jharkhand, Census Population Data, viewed 25 December 2017 Month Year, http://www.census2011.co.in/.
- Government of India, M. O. T. A. 2016. Land and Governance Under the Fifth Schedule: An Overview of the law. New Delhi: UNDP.Google Scholar
- Government of Jharkhand. 2003. Jharkhand: Vision 2010. Ranchi: Government of Jharkhand.Google Scholar
- Harvey, David. 2003. The New Imperialism. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lennox, Corinne, and Damien Short. 2016. Introduction. In Handbook of Indigenous Peoples’ Rights, ed. Corinne Lennox and Damien Short, 1–11. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Levien, Michael. 2012. The Politics of Dispossession: Theorizing India’s “Land Wars”. New York: Land Deal Politics Initiative.Google Scholar
- Oliver-Smith, Anthony. 2010. Defying Displacement: Grassroots Resistance and the Critique of Development. Austin: University of Texas Press.Google Scholar
- PRS. 2015. PRS India. Available at: http://www.prsindia.org/uploads/media/Land%20Acquisition/bill16720080311167TheLandAcquisitionAct1894.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2017.
- Raghuram, G., and Simi Sunny. 2015. Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Ordinance 2014: A Process Perspective, W.P. No. 2015-07-03, IIM Bangalore: Research and Publications.Google Scholar
- Roy, Amit. 2003. Jharkhand: Internal Colonialism. In The Jharkhand Movement: Indigenous People’s Struggle for Autonomy in India, ed. R.M. a. B. Mullick, Copenhagen: International Work Group for Indigenous Affairs.Google Scholar
- Yadav, Anumeha. 2017. ‘Land Wars’. https://scroll.in/article/828802/in-jharkhand-adivasis-say-changes-to-tenancy-laws-dilutes-their-hard-won-land-rights. Accessed 11 Dec 2017.