Equalities ‘devolved’: experiences in mainstreaming across the UK devolved powers post-Equality Act 2010
In an increasing number of jurisdictions, gender mainstreaming approaches have been supplemented with attention to other equality areas, including race and disability. The UK is among the most advanced countries in mainstreaming ‘equality’, with nine equality areas protected in law and a joined-up equality infrastructure. Among the nations of the UK there are, however, important distinctions in implementation of the law. In this article, we present findings of cross sectoral qualitative research (with academic, public and third sectors) aimed at understanding the progress of equality mainstreaming in the UK some years on from the implementation of the Equality Act 2010, with a specific focus on the devolved administrations of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. We identify areas of progress as well as barriers to change and proposed solutions for the future.
KeywordsEquality Act 2010 UK devolved powers Gender mainstreaming Equalities Intersectionality
- Bacchi, C., and J. Eveline. 2010. Mainstreaming Politics: Gendering Practices and Feminist Theory. Adelaide, SA: The University of Adelaide Press.Google Scholar
- Benschop, Y., and M. Verloo. 2011. Gender Change, Organizational Change and Gender Equality Strategies. In Handbook of Gender, Work and Organization, ed. Emma Jeanes, David Knights, and Patricia Yancey-Martin, 277–290. Londen: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Colgan, F., Hunter, C., and A. McKearney. 2014. ‘Staying Alive’: The Impact of ‘Austerity Cuts’ on the LGBT Voluntary and Community Sector (VCS) in England and Wales. London: TUC. https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/StayingAlive.pdf. Accessed May 29, 2015.
- ECNI [Equality Commission for Northern Ireland]. 2014. Gaps in Equality Law between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. http://www.equalityni.org/ECNI/media/ECNI/Consultation%20Responses/2014/Gaps-in-Equality-Law-in-GB-and-NI-March-2014.pdf. Accessed 5 Sept 2015.
- Einarsdóttir, T. 2003. Challenging the Slow Motion of Gender Equality: What can be Learned from the Icelandic Case? Presented at Gender and Power in the New Europe, the 5th European Feminist Research Conference.Google Scholar
- Equality and Human Rights Commission Scotland [EHRCS]. 2017. Measuring Up? Public Authorities’ performance in meeting the Scottish Specific Equality Duties, 2017. https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/publication-download/public-authorities%E2%80%99-performance-meeting-scottish-specific-equality-duties-2017. Accessed 18 Feb 2018
- Equality and Human Rights Commission Wales [EHRCW]. (2014). Review of the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) in Wales: Full Report. http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/publication/review-public-sector-equality-duty-psed-wales. Accessed 4 June 2015.
- Hankivsky, O. 2014. Intersectionality 101. Vancouver: The Institute for Intersectionality Research and Policy, SFU.Google Scholar
- Hankivksy, O., D. Grace, G. Hunting, M. Giesbrecht, A. Fridkin, S. Rudrum, O. Ferlatte, and N. Clark. 2012. An Intersectionality-Based Policy Analysis Framework. Vancouver: Institute for Intersectionality Research and Policy.Google Scholar
- Hermanin, C., and J. Squires. 2012. Institionalizing Intersectionality in the ‘Big Three’: The Changing Equality Framework in France, Germany and Britain. In Institutionalizing Intersectionality: The Changing Nature of European Equality Regimes, ed. Andrea Krizsan, Hege Skjeie, and Judith Squires, 89–118. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Krizsan, A., H. Skjeie, and J. Squires. 2012. Institutionalizing Intersectionality: A Theoretical Framework. In Institutionalizing Intersectionality: The Changing Nature of European Equality Regimes, ed. Andrea Krizsan, Hege Skjeie, and Judith Squires, 1–32. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- National Assembly for Wales. 2013. The Future of Equality and Human Rights in Wales. Accessed 9 March 2015.Google Scholar
- NIE [Northern Ireland Executive]. 2015. A Fresh Start: The Stormont Agreement and Implementation Plan. Belfast, UK. Signed 17 November 2015. Document. https://www.northernireland.gov.uk/publications/fresh-start-stormont-agreement-and-implementation-plan-0. Accessed 4 Feb 2016.
- Northern Ireland Act. 1998. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/47/contents.
- Nott, S. 2000. Accentuating the Positive: Alternative Strategies for Promoting Gender Equality. In Making Women Count: Integrating Gender into Law and Policy-Making, ed. F. Beveridge, S. Nott, and K. Stephen. Aldershot: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Parken, A. and H. Young. 2007. Integrating the Promotion of Equality and Human Rights for All. Unpublished Report for Welsh Assembly Government and Equality and Human Rights Commission (Copy in possession of the authors).Google Scholar
- Scottish Government. 2013. Equality Outcomes and Mainstreaming Report 2013. https://beta.gov.scot/publications/equality-outcomes-mainstreaming-report/.
- Scottish Government. 2015. Equality Outcomes and Mainstreaming Report 2015. http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/04/7781/downloads#res476112. Accessed 3 Dec 2015.
- Scottish Government. 2017. Equality Outcomes and Mainstreaming Report 2017. https://beta.gov.scot/publications/equality-outcomes-mainstreaming-report-2017/. Accessed 18 Feb 2018.
- Squires, J., and J. Kantola. 2010. The New Politics of Equality. In New Directions in Political Science: Responding to the Challenges of an Interdependent World, ed. C. Hay, 89–108. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- UN CEDAW Committee. 2013. Concluding Observations and Recommendations. United Nations.Google Scholar
- Verloo, M. 2001. Another Velvet Revolution? Gender mainstreaming and the politics of implementation. IWM Working Paper No. 5: Vienna.Google Scholar
- Verloo, M., P. Meier, S. Lauwers, and S. Martens. 2012. Putting Intersectionality into Practice in Different Configurations of Equality Architecture: Belgium and the Netherlands. Social Politics: International Studies in Gender, State & Society 19 (4): 513–538. https://doi.org/10.1093/sp/jxs021.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Walby, S. 2015. Crisis. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Welsh Government. 2015. Annual Report on Equality 2014–2015: Working for Equality in Wales. Accessed 9 Jan 2015.Google Scholar
- Woodward, A.E. 2006. Mobilizing for Equality: European Transnational Equality Movements and Their Place in the Changing Landscape of European Civil Society. Paper Presented at the 15th International Conference of the Council of European Studies; April, Chicago.Google Scholar