A fuzzy approach for the estimation of foreign investment risk based on values of rating indices
- 6 Downloads
The paper discusses the uncertainty resulting from vagueness. Within this topic we present an original version of the fuzzy approach to a foreign investment risk estimation based on values of rating indices. The transition from the basic point values of rating indices into the linguistic values within intervals of linguistic variables of fuzzy logic enables us to take into account the diverse kinds of uncertainty. The theoretical and methodological part submits fundamentals of the general fuzzy model of the vaguely defined problem, which is applied to the problem of the foreign investment “risk” estimation of selected countries of Europe and Asia. The inclusion of a country into one of the categories (“high risk countries”, “conditional risk countries” and “non-risk countries”) is based on a vector of value indexes of the sub-components of business environment quality (corrupt environment, economic stability and political stability).
KeywordsFuzzy approach Foreign investment risk Rating indices Business quality
This work was supported by the [University of Economics, Prague] under Grant [number IGA F4/57/2019].
- Corruption Perception Index. 2015. In: Transparency International [online]. http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015#results-table. Accessed 09 Aug 2016.
- Country Rankings. 2015. In: Index of Economic Freedom, Euromoney [online]. The Heritage Foundation, 2016. http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking. Accessed 09 Aug 2016.
- Fiala, P., and A. Borovička. 2015. Investment decision-making by a two-step multi-criteria procedure. International Journal of Multicriteria Decision Making 5 (3): 274–293.Google Scholar
- Haque, N.U., D. Mathieson, and N. Mark. 1997. Rating the raters of country creditworthiness. Finance & Development 34 (1): 10–13.Google Scholar
- Hašková, S. 2016. Evaluation of project investments based on comprehensive risk. In: Proceedings of 34th International Conference Mathematical Methods in Economics (MME), Liberec, Technical University Liberec, 260–264.Google Scholar
- Manns, J. 2013. Downgrading rating agency reform. The George Washington Law Review 81: 749.Google Scholar
- Nualart, D. (2006). Fractional Brownian motion: Stochastic calculus and applications. In International Congress of Mathematicians, vol. 3, 1541–1562. Eur. Math. Soc.Google Scholar
- Ormoneit, D., & Neuneier, R. 1999. Conditional value at risk. In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference in Computational Finance. MIT Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Peregrin, J., and V. Svoboda. 2016. Logical Formalization and the Formation of Logic (s). Logique et Analyse 233: 55–80.Google Scholar
- Regional Political Risk Index. 2015. In: The RPS Group [online]. https://www.prsgroup.com/category/risk-index. Accessed 09 Aug 2016
- Roccioletti, S. 2015. Backtesting Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Zhao, J. and B. K. Bose. 2002. Evaluation of membership functions for fuzzy logic controlled induction motor drive. In IECON 02 [IEEE 2002 28th Annual Conference of the Industrial Electronics Society], vol. 1, 229–234. IEEEGoogle Scholar