Container terminal layout design: transition and future
- 54 Downloads
Container terminals play an important role in the transportation of containerized goods in global supply chains. The number of containers handled in container terminals has increased astronomically. To accommodate and handle the increasing number of containers entering and leaving container terminals, their layout has seen several changes. New layouts require smaller footprint and must ensure faster, cheaper, and more efficient transfer of containers between the landside and seaside. This paper first reviews the literature on the transition of terminal layout designs from traditional to automated and future container terminals. Second, the relevant research needs to address strategic and tactical layout design problems are listed.
KeywordsGlobal supply chain Maritime transportation Marine terminal layout design Next-generation container terminals Design optimization Vertical expansion
The authors would like to thank the Editor-in-Chief and two anonymous reviewers, whose constructive comments and suggestions helped us to improve the quality of this paper.
- Brouer, B.D., D. Pisinger, and S. Spoorendonk. 2011. Liner shipping cargo allocation with repositioning of empty containers. INFOR 49 (2): 109.Google Scholar
- BSR. 2010. Sustainability trends in the container shipping industry. https://www.bsr.org/reports/BSR_Sustainability_Trends__Container_Shipping_Industry.pdf. Accessed 14 Apr 2016.
- Carlo, H.J., I.F.A. Vis, and K.J. Roodbergen. 2013. Seaside operations in container terminals: Literature overview, trends, and research directions. Flexible Services and Manufacturing Journal 235: 412–430.Google Scholar
- De Borger, B., and D. De Bruyne. 2011. Port activities, hinterland congestion and optimal government policies: The role of vertical integration in logistics operations. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 45 (2): 247–275.Google Scholar
- Epstein, R., A. Neely, A. Weintraub, F. Valenzuela, S. Hurtado, G. Gonzalez, A. Beiza, M. Naveas, F. Infante, F. Alarcón, G. Angulo, C. Berner, J. Catalan, C. Gonzalez, and C. Yung. 2012. A strategic empty container logistics optimization in a major shipping company. Interfaces 1: 5–16.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ez-Indus. 2017. Ultra high container warehouse system. http://www.ezindus.com/emain.php?page=emenu2&sub=eez_m2. Accessed 04 Apr 2017
- Germangray’s scale modelling. 2017. Automated container transport system (AUTOCON). http://www.iemsjl.org/journal/article.php?code=1556. Accessed 22 May 2017.
- GRID Logistics Inc. 2017. What is the SuperDock? http://s474091609.onlinehome.us/gridweb/superdock/. Accessed 22 May 2017
- Gue, H.R. 2014. A new angle on container ports. https://kevingue.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/new-angle-on-container-ports/. Accessed Apr 24 2017
- Hayuth, Y. 2007. Globalisation and the port–urban interface: Conflicts and opportunities. In Ports, cities and global supply chains, ed. J. Wang, D. Olivier, T. Notteboom, and B. Slack, 141–156. Hampshire: Ashgate (Transport and mobility series).Google Scholar
- Heragu, S.S. 2008. Facilities design, 3rd ed, 2008. Clermont, FL: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Hu, H., B.K. Lee, Y. Huang, L.H. Lee, and E.P. Chew. 2013. Performance analysis on transfer platforms in frame bridge based automated container terminals. Mathematical Problems in Engineering 2013: 1–8.Google Scholar
- Iannone, F. 2012. The private and social cost efficiency of port hinterland container distribution through a regional logistics system. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 46 (9): 1424–1448.Google Scholar
- ITF. 2019. ITF transport outlook 2019. Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ivanović. 2014. Better container yards. https://containerterminals.wordpress.com/. Accessed 22 June 2016
- Kho, F. 2013. Kalmar’s proposal received a commendation award in the Next Generation Container Port Challenge. http://port2060.kalmarglobal.com/designing-the-next-generation-container-port/. Accessed 14 April 2016
- Konecranes. 2018. Automated terminal tractor. http://www.konecranes.com/equipment/container-handling-equipment/automated-rtg-artg-system. Accessed 30 Mar 2018.
- Kosmatopoulos, E.B., Q. Liu, and P. Ioannou. 2002. Design and optimization of a conceptual automated yard using overhead grid rail system. Los Angeles: METRANS Transportation Center.Google Scholar
- Lange, A.K., A. Schwientek, C. Jahn. 2017. Reducing truck congestion at ports–classification and trends. In Proceedings of the hamburg international conference of logistics (HICL), 37–58. Epubli.Google Scholar
- Marine Insight. 2013. The Yangshan deep water port—The Biggest deep water port in the world. http://www.marineinsight.com/ports/the-yangshan-deep-water-port-the-biggest-deep-water-port-in-the-world/. Accessed 22 Jun 2016.
- Maritime Singapore Connect. 2018. 5 things you should know about the new tuas mega port. https://www.maritimesgconnect.com/features/spotlight/5-things-you-should-know-about-new-tuas-mega-port. Accessed 29 May 2018.
- Matinlauri, I. 2015. Back to the future. http://port2060.kalmarglobal.com/back-to-the-future/. Accessed 22 June 2016.
- Meng, Q., and L. Wang. 2011. Liner shipping service network design with empty container repositioning. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 47: 605–708.Google Scholar
- Montreuil, B., R. Meller, and E. Ballot. 2013. Physical internet foundations. In Service orientation in holonic and multi agent manufacturing and robotics, ed. T. Borangiu, A. Thomas, and D. Trentesaux, 151–166.Google Scholar
- Port of Felixstowe. 2018. Container operations—berths 8&9 for mega vessels. https://www.portoffelixstowe.co.uk/port/container-operations-berths-8-9/. Accessed 17 Apr 2018.
- Port of Venice. 2018. The new container terminal. https://www.port.venice.it/en/the-new-container-terminal.html-0. Accessed 29 Mar 2018
- Rethinking container Management System. 2017. The new brochure of the RCMS project. http://www.rcms-project.net/category/news/. Accessed 26 Mar 2018
- Saanen, Y.A. 2004. An approach for designing robotized marine container terminals. PhD diss., Delft University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Shiri, S., and N. Huynh. 2017. Assessment of U.S. chassis supply models on drayage productivity and air emissions. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 61 (2018): 174–203.Google Scholar
- SingaPort. 2013. Next generation container port. https://www.isem.nus.edu.sg/research/C4NGL/achievement/. Accessed 19 May 2017.
- The World Bank. 2018. Container port traffic (TEU: 20 foot equivalent units). https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IS.SHP.GOOD.TU?view=chart. Accessed 26 Mar 2018.
- unctad.org | Review of Maritime Transport 2017. 2017. http://unctad.org/en/pages/PublicationWebflyer.aspx?publicationid=1890. Accessed 10 July 2018.
- VMW Systems. 2017. Container handling systems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72HokOJ_5qw. Accessed 21 Apr 2017.
- Wampler, S. 2010. Plan floated to ship cargo inspection offshore. https://www.llnl.gov/news/plan-floated-ship-cargo-inspection-offshore. Accessed 8 July 2016
- Wong. M. 2011. All at sea: container handing in Hong Kong. https://www.checkerboardhill.com/2011/08/hong-kong-mid-stream-cargo-handling/. Accessed 29 Mar 2018.