Blockchain in travel
Blockchain is a disruptive emerging technology that is gaining in momentum with a range of applications in travel including loyalty, contract management, security and personal identity, revenue management, secure payment, and related areas. This paper examines the potential for the adoption of blockchain technology, current shortcomings, and what needs to be overcome for mass adoption in travel.
KeywordsBlockchain Travel Emerging technology Loyalty Interline ticketing Airline contracts Inventory Revenue management Machine learning
- Baydakova, A. 2018. Singapore Airlines’ Blockchain-Based Loyalty Program Takes Off. www.coindesk.com/singapore-airlines-blockchain-based-loyalty-program-takes-off. Accessed 25 July 2018.
- IBM Research Editorial Staff. 2018. Behind the Architecture of Hyperledger Fabric. https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2018/02/architecture-hyperledger-fabric/.
- Morris, N. 2018. Blockchain Past Peak in Gartner Hype Cycle, Ledger Insights: Enterprise Blockchain News. https://www.ledgerinsights.com/gartner-blockchain-hype-cycle/. Accessed Aug 2018.
- Panetta, K. 2018. 5 Trends Emerge in the Gartner Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, 2018. https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/5-trends-emerge-in-gartner-hype-cycle-for-emerging-technologies-2018/. Accessed 16 Aug 2018.
- Shayon, S. 2018. 6 Reasons for Singapore Airlines’ Blockchain-Based Loyalty Program. www.brandchannel.com/2018/02/15/singapore-airlines-blockchain/. Accessed 15 Feb 2018.
- Smith, C. 2019. 105 Airbnb Statistics and Facts (2019): By the Numbers, DMR Statistics. https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/airbnb-statistics/. 19 Aug 2019.
- Sorrels, M. 2018. ATPCO, SITA and Blockskye to explore blockchain for airline offer management. Phocuswire. 6 Sept 2018.Google Scholar
- Wright, C.P. 2010. Modeling and Analysis of Revenue Management in Airline Alliances, PhD Dissertation, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York.Google Scholar