A cabin capacity allocation model for revenue management in the cruise industry
- 24 Downloads
The cruise industry is a profitable field for the application of revenue management methods. Existing model formulations for booking limit determination usually assume that the different elements of booking requests are independent. In this work, it is shown that this approach can lead to non-feasible capacity allocations, which consequently are neither optimal nor applicable in practical planning situations. Therefore, a new improved integer linear model formulation is developed here which by explicitly assigning booking requests to cabins derives a feasible and revenue-maximizing capacity allocation. The model and its results are illustrated with a real-world sized case study.
KeywordsRevenue management Capacity allocation Cruise industry Simulation
- Aziz, H.A., N. El Gayar, M. Saleh, and H. El Shishiny. 2008. A randomized model for group reservations in a hotel’s revenue management system. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Informatics and Systems (IFOS 2008). Cairo.Google Scholar
- Cruise Market Watch. 2019a. Growth of the ocean cruise line industry. https://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/growth/. Accessed 6 Aug 2019.
- Cruise Market Watch. 2019b. 2018 worldwide cruise line market share. https://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/market-share/. Accessed 6 Aug 2019.
- Sturm, D. and K. Fischer. 2016. Cruise line revenue management: Overview and research opportunities. In Operations research proceedings 2016: Selected papers of the annual international conference of the German Operations Research society (GOR), ed. Fink, A., A. Fügenschuh and M.J. Geiger, 441–447, August 30–September 2, Helmut Schmidt University Hamburg, Germany, 2016. Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Vahdat, M.A., S. Golestany, M.H. Abouei, and M. Honarvar. 2014. A stochastic approach to hotel revenue management considering individual and group customers. In Proceedings of the 2014 international conference on industrial engineering and operations management. Bali.Google Scholar